Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcmorford
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2009 edited
    My name is Casey Morford and I'm the Systems Engineer for Baldwin City USD 348.

We're primarily a Mac district with approximately 1400 students. We operate an OS X Open Directory environment.

We've been using OpenDNS as our sole filtering solution for around a year now. Our previous solution seemed to be causing many bottlenecks for our traffic, it had a tendency for false positives which made for more work on our end and overall it became a frustration point for some of our staff and students.

I began looking for alternatives and found OpenDNS as an appealing option. After a few weeks of testing the controls and trying it on a small group, we were sold. Being DNS based, we literally eliminated the lag we were seeing with our previous solution. The students and staff noticed an immediate difference.

We had to constantly add new proxies to our previous solution, now most of that is taken care of by OpenDNS. We don't see as many false positives and when we do, OpenDNS allows for feedback that makes it easy for the student or staff member to request a site to be unblocked. The service has been excellent with no outages or periods of "slowness" since we've started using it!

As the moderator for Kansas K-12 schools, I hope to see some good discussion on our forum. I hope everyone is off to a great start this year!
    • CommentAuthorpmoody
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2009
    I am the sole IT guy for Crest USD 479 on Colony KS. We have around 250 students and I have been using OpenDNS for over a year now. I also use a Sonicwall TZ-170 but it was subscription based for more than basic filtering and I too was having to enter proxies all the time. This has been a great addition. i take care of around 150 systems in the building and did I also mention that I am the High School math teacher. OpenDNS has taken a load of work off my shoulders.
    • CommentAuthorpcdoc57
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2009
    I am one of the few people that volunteer at Sacred Heart School in Dodge City, KS. We created a Technology team about a year ago and decided to go with OpenDNS for our filtering. It has cut down on a lot of the kids playing games online and surfing where they don't need to go. We didn't have anything in place before and it was the teachers job to monitor the kids. This has taken some of that responsibility away from the teacher so they can help the kids with problems.

Our school is a Pre-8 grade and a private school that relys on tuition and donations to function. We don't have a lot of extra money for computer equipment so it was great when we found OpenDNS.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcmorford
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2009
    Welcome pmoody and mking1602. Sounds like we've all been using OpenDNS for around the same length of time.

I think I can relate to the time savings you've both described by using OpenDNS. We have about 900 systems across 7 buildings and 4 tech staff to manage that district wide, so we are always looking for ways to be more efficient and/or to offload some of the work without adding 3rd party expenses to our limited budget. I'm just wishing we had found OpenDNS earlier than we did. It has been great!

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.