Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
  1.  permalink
    lininjim - Sorry dude, only just read your post.
    • CommentAuthorgsdog
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2009 edited
    tara100, then it's probably been setup by your internet service provider.

You could try doing what me and lininjim suggested and add your network in the dashboard then disable the phishing protection which is causing this problem.
  2.  permalink
    "If you haven't signed up for OpenDNS and configured it for your network, you should call your ISP and complain."

I don't think I did but the numbers were there in the "DNS servers" box on my mac.
    Is it possible that something has altered this without my permission? Can that happen?

Granger
  3.  permalink
    mine is working now-never block cgi.ebay.co.uk and www.ebay.co.uk in your settings works tnx
  4.  permalink
    My confidence is sufficiently reduced by my experiences with OpenDNS tonight to stop using it altogether.
    Back to my ISPs DNS, and I'm glad I have that choice, I feel sorry for you guys that will have to wait for your ISP to respond!
  5.  permalink
    Administrator
    This issue has been resolved. We apologize for any inconvenience and have taken measures to prevent this from occurring in the future.

You may need to clear the cache and flush your resolver before reloading the site.
  6.  permalink
    Thanks Daniel
  7.  permalink
    Thanks gsdog

I just followed the instructions posted by lininjim (big thanks to them!) and I can now use ebay through I.E. and Firefox as normal.

I am still peed off though, because I didn't choose to have this on my PC and now have to go and look at reviews of the safety of this unknown service, which is a back to front way of doing things!
    My PC is running noticably slower and this all adds to my unhappy bunniness!

Folks take a look at lininjims instructions on page 1, and allow everything, or do as I did, and set a low level phishing block which allows ebay (and my bid sniper too)
  8.  permalink
    Daniel, did you copy that from somewhere, or are you staff of this site?
  9.  permalink
    Administrator
    @tara100 - I am the OpenDNS Community Manager and I run the Support Department for OpenDNS. Only OpenDNS employees have an O icon next to their names in the forums.
  10.  permalink
    Daniel.......Maybe I have been far too angry and frustrated to notice the orange 'O' next to your name.

Right, maybe you can help us poor souls.....Is this issue down to our ISP's? I need to know how a service can literally take over my PC without my permission.
  11.  permalink
    Posters, out of interest, are you with AOL?
    • CommentAuthordjlondon22
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2009
    Daniel, could you please be so kind as to give myself and the other members here an explanation as to what went wrong? Stress all round i think.
  12.  permalink
    Administrator
    Reposting my response from another thread:

We have resolved this issue and removed what appeared to be a questionable sub-domain of ebay.co.uk from our database that was mistaken as an ebay phishing site. As you many of you know, ebay and Paypal are two of the most phished sites on the Internet. While we take measures to ensure that all sites are indeed valid phishes this one somehow fell through the cracks. We have removed it from our database and added it to our global whitelist to prevent it from happening in the future. We apologize for any inconvenience.
  13.  permalink
    Daniel,
    When I registered to find out what is going on, it is apparent OpenDNS knows my full name and home address? How? Since I haven't ever told you it.
    • CommentAuthordjlondon22
    thanks Daniel, shame it took you guys over 60 minutes to resolve this.
  14.  permalink
    Administrator
    @opendnsdave - We only know your IP address. You either inputted that information or have an auto-form script installed in your browser.
  15.  permalink
    A few posts up, Daniel suggested: 'You may need to clear the cache and flush your resolver before reloading the site'

For folks who have no idea what this means, I'll play customer services advisor, as you won't get the help you need here unless you sit and beg!

For Windows XP users: Click on 'Start' then click on 'run' then enter ipconfig /flushdns and click 'ok'
    This should do the trick :-)
  16.  permalink
    Administrator
    @tara100 - Sorry, I did not see your previous comment regarding our service on your computer. Simply, OpenDNS is not an installed software or virus or anything like that. It is merely a setting that was changed on your computer, router or through your ISP to reflect our DNS servers. We do not "take over" computers - it is a setting that is deliberately changed on a computer or network.
  17.  permalink
    cloysterpete - no problemo mate, better too much info than too little :)

peace out
  18.  permalink
    @tara100 - Sorry, I did not see your previous comment regarding our service on your computer. Simply, OpenDNS is not an installed software or virus or anything like that. It is merely a setting that was changed on your computer, router or through your ISP to reflect our DNS servers. We do not "take over" computers - it is a setting that is deliberately changed on a computer or network.

Daniel, I'm not blaming you here, but I have never changed any settings on my PC / network.
    Don't you think it's odd, that other posters have said exactly the same, and that the same issue happened to all of us at exactly the same time? Yes, we all came on here as we couldn't get into ebay, but I couldn't enter other sites too. It's all very fishy....

What we need to know is who made these changes, plus how without our permission, and why?

I did ask folks to state if they are AOL users, so that at least I could put this problem at their door, but no one has mentioned their ISP's as yet........
    • CommentAuthordiacon
    Tara100, so you use AOL to connect to the internet? As in AOL dial-up? Or do you use your cable or phone company to provide you with broadband access or DSL?
  19.  permalink
    Administrator
    @tara100 - Unfortunately, we have no way of determining who or where OpenDNS was or is configured on your network.
  20.  permalink
    Diacon

I have AOL Broadband with WPA security enabled router.

When the problem began tonight, I had to sign up to OpenDNS (as others did) to try and find out how to cure / get rid of OpenDNS.

I was supposed to go into control panel / network connections / right click on my network connection / properties / scroll down to internet properties & highlight / click on properties / click on use the following DNS server address (which is OpenDNS)
    I did not do this as I didn't ask for this service to 'take over' my PC, but this is what the service required of me.

I still state that I have not changed any of my configurations (apart from when I went over to wireless some years ago)
  21.  permalink
    tara100 O2 Broadband mate.
    oh and really glad I was able to help :)
    and big thanks to gsdog too, sorry your gf missed that auction.
    • CommentAuthorbrian45
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2009 edited
    your isp is using openDNS, I have been using openDNS for ages, long before my isp started to use it
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    @tara100
    "I did not do this as I didn't ask for this service to 'take over' my PC, but this is what the service required of me."
    So simply find out who has hijacked your computer this way and changed your DNS server settings. It must have been someone having physical access to this machine. Or it must have been some "friendly" malware you downloaded from the internet. There is really no other option...
    As community manager @Daniel Gifford indicated, OpenDNS have no way to tell you this, far from being able to initiate such activity from their side at all.
  22.  permalink
    I'll repeat and simplify..........

Look through this thread, and see how many people suffered the same thing, at the very same time. Those people have no prior knowledge of OpenDNS, nor why it suddenly began 'operating' (albeit very badly)

Yes, there has been a 'hijacking' of sorts, but not through Malware or any other person having physical access to my PC.

I will be researching this tomorrow starting with AOL, and will report back when I have definitive evidence.

Goodnight all.....
  23.  permalink
    "@opendnsdave - We only know your IP address. You either inputted that information or have an auto-form script installed in your browser.
    "

Daniel,

I do indeed have an autofill tool in my browser and did use it for the purpose of prefilling my email address only. I have found the following.

At https://store.opendns.com/get/basic I am asked for only limited information:

Username:
    Email:
    Confirm Email:
    Password:
    Confirm Password

So this is why I was surprised to see my full name and address listed. However, on further investigation, you can see that if you use the drop down "Where will you use this account?" and select "I'd rather not answer", many more input fields become visible.

The problem is that these input fields are invisible to the user (until selecting this particular answer to the drop down), but visible to the browser, so all the input fields are populated by autofill without the knowledge of the user.

I think that's an issue and I've not seen that behaviour elsewhere before, and if I hadn't gone in to look at the settings out of curiosity, I would not have known you had this information.

I also think you should be more 'open' in this regard and display all the input fields without the user needing to use a drop down.
    • CommentAuthordiacon
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2009
    @Tara100, AOL Broadband isn't a broadband delivery service. In some cases AOL Broadband partners with a local broadband provider to provide internet access. It's this local provider who most likely is using OpenDNS and why you are using OpenDNS unknowingly.

If you pay your internet bill entirely to AOL (ie they are the ones you call if the internet goes down) start there. If you have another company that you pay or call for internet trouble start there.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2009
    @opendnsdave
    "The problem is that these input fields are invisible to the user (until selecting this particular answer to the drop down), but visible to the browser, so all the input fields are populated by autofill without the knowledge of the user."

That's indeed a horrible bug and a huge security risk. What do you treat being in charge of this, the browser or the webserver?

"you should be more 'open' in this regard and display all the input fields"

Even if you would request it, I would not know a method to hide auto-filled content from the users' eyes... Btw, what browser did you use to sign up then?
  24.  permalink
    Hi rotblitz, I used IE8 but the same behaviour is exhibited with other browsers that a friend has tested.

I'd like to hear OpenDNS's opinion on this matter :-)
  25.  permalink
    I mailed OpenDNS and received an automated canned reply, that does not address the question I sent them.
    If ever I was totally uninspired to join an organisation, it's now.......

Apologies for the many '>' - My question is just pasted back to here:

> Hello
    >
    > I need to know who or what set up OpenDNS on my PC.
    >
    > Before this evening, I had no prior knowledge of OpenDNS, until I couldn't view many websites, as they were blocked and suspected of phishing.
    Ebay was one of them, and although I see this problem has been resolved, I have to find out where permission was granted for OpenDNS to perform ANY actions on my computer.
    > I had to 'join' OpenDNS so that I could find out what the service was doing to my computer, and to try and remedy the issues.
    >
    > I will be contacting my ISP tomorrow (AOL) to investigate further.
    > I hope to hear from you soon with a response to my query.
    >
    > Regards

Reply:

We have resolved this issue and removed a sub-domain of ebay.co.uk from our database that was mistaken as an ebay phishing site. As you many of you know, ebay and Paypal are two of the most phished sites on the Internet. While we take measures to ensure that all sites are indeed valid phishes this one somehow fell through the cracks. We have removed it from our database and added it to our global whitelist to prevent it from happening in the future. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Marc Mirenzi OpenDNS Support Lead

Whilst laughable, I actually feel insulted, as not only does the reply NOT address my question, I found the very same paragraph here on this forum, which was posted by a board moderator.
    Funnily enough, these guys must have something to do with ebay, because when you contact their 'Trust and Safety' team for assistance, you also get canned automated responses!
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2009 edited
    Your question was: "I need to know who or what set up OpenDNS on my PC."
    This didn't make sense. Same you could have asked them: "I need to know who last cleaned my car."
    You only should ask questions making any sense. YOU need to know who is doing what and how in YOUR network and on YOUR PC. Only malware or unauthorized persons or the intendendly by YOU downloaded and installed OpenDNS Updater had the possibility to change your DNS settings. So how the hell should OpenDNS ever be able to answer such a non-sense question? :devil:

"Whilst laughable" - Now I have to laugh about you because of your ignorance! :bigsmile:

Edit: Also, @Daniel Gifford already answered your question above:
    "we have no way of determining who or where OpenDNS was or is configured on your network."
    So - what else do you expect?
  26.  permalink
    @rotblitz Not quite as simple as you make out, actually. It's perfectly possible that AOL have contractual arrangements with OpenDNS, maybe an agreement that the ink is still drying on. Maybe, just maybe, this configuration change at AOL's end only recently went in without properly communicating to AOL's customers. Now, if this was the case, it isn't a stupid question at all, since OpenDNS would surely be aware of this change at AOL and would be able to answer the question quickly and concisely.

DNS can be configured on the PC, a router or upstream equipment in the ISP's network, so don't be so quick to judge.

Now some of us are laughing at you.
    • CommentAuthortara100
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2009
    Nice one Dave! ;-)

I just ignored the previous reply; it's another case of nipping in, sniping and TRYING to rubbish another of my posts - it's been going on right through this thread.

I see there are other folks who have started new threads stating the same as myself...Those poor so and so's may also have to put up with personal attacks which isn't what this forum is about whatsoever!

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.