Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthoramishmm
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2009 edited
    Look at this: http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/intro.html

It calls itself as Public DNS but when it comes to saying bad about public DNS, instead of using word "Public DNS or Public resolvers" it uses words "Open DNS and Open resolvers"

I think OpenDNS people should sue Google for doing this on purpose OR ask them to change words to properly use "Public DNS or Public resolver"

From OpenDNS fan.
    Thankful People: getpchelp.com
    •  
      CommentAuthordavidu
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2009
    Administrator
    Thanks -- While it's annoying that they've done this, I'm glad you recognize Google isn't quite the saint they make themselves out to be. That said, more choice in the DNS is a good thing and we're a business well equipped to compete.

I'll have a blog post up in a moment with some more thoughts.
    • CommentAuthormarkoe
    David,

Your business model and backers are respected by many. You guys keep up the good work and keep doing what you're doing.

Regards,
    Mark
  1.  permalink
    From what I read they imply that (1) their DNS cannot be used in DDOS and that others can and (2) incorrect results include blocked, filtered and redirected responses.

I find point #2 fairly ironic given Google's choices with regards to Chinese censorship. Does OpenDNS avoid being misused as described in #1?
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    I'm even more afraid about this additonal source for tracking. What they couldn't catch from normal web surfing, they will get now via DNS... :shocked:
  2.  permalink
    "(1) their DNS cannot be used in DDOS and that others can"

That isn't actually what is implied. What they are saying is that they apparently do not use or make provision for EDNS0, as it could return larger packets (more "extended" info), thus making for a "better" DOS attack.

Yeah, Google probably thinks that its implementation of a DNS server is better than all others. Considering the never-ending beta status of most of their code, I'm a bit incredulous.

Then again, a lot of other public DNS *is* dreck. But I'd argue that OpenDNS is the best.
    Thankful People: mcstafford
  3.  permalink
    "EDNS0"

Thanks for mentioning that.

"OpenDNS is the best"

I count myself as lucky to have found OpenDNS years ago. There are few things I make sure to put on computers of friends and family and this is one of them.
  4.  permalink
    Just for example, the OpenDNS implementation was already immune to the type of attacks described by Kaminsky. Most others were not. (Remember the big secret DNS flaw for which the major players in DNS had to code patches?)
  5.  permalink
    Administrator
    • CommentAuthortherem
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2009
    using Google's public DNS on a client's computer can bypass the router's OpenDNS Content Filtering.
    • CommentAuthorad47uk
    I have been using Open DNs for a year or so, maybe longer. I have no intention of using Google DNS, in fact I try to avoid anything to do with Google, even blocking their adverts and cookies.
    Thankful People: rotblitz
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    @therem
    "using Google's public DNS on a client's computer can bypass the router's OpenDNS Content Filtering."

This statement is valid of every DNS service configured on the computer. It is not related to Google. Not sure why you bring this up in this Google related thread...
    • CommentAuthorcrazyal15
    I have just tried using Google's DNS servers and I HAVE noticed a speed difference, But I am still going to stick with OpenDNS for the content filtering and just block all DNS traffic except to OpenDNS in my router.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.