Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthortrendikola
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2009
    Hello!
    Sometimes I have domains which I want to block. Those domains are not blocked by their category, that is why I blacklist them on my settings page and check out whether the domain is already tagged or not. If not I tag it. When the domain has already been tagged I vote for it.

It is certain, that I blacklisted the domain because it is not supposed to be reachable. To put it in a nutshell, I want to tide over the time between I recognise a certain domain which is not blocked and the moment its tags are approved for this category.

The problem is:
    I do not get any notification that the example.net (which I blacklisted x weeks ago) has been approved to contain a certain content. Thus, I have many "domain corpses" in my blacklist.

Solution A
    Display behind the domain, in the blacklist (on the settings page) to which categories they belong.
    E.g. [ ] example.net [abc] [def]
    ^ ^ ^
    delete field category a category b

Solution B
    Make a button on the settings page to check whether any domain I blacklisted is/has been tagged for a category I block and then remove it.

Now, I would like to hear you opinion, because I am going to submit a idea entry in the idea bank for that.

Thanks
    Thankful People: rotblitz
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2009
    Oh no, not again... sorry, I did not want to post that in this forum, but I clicked "Wishlists and feature requests" and then "Start a new Discussion" and thought I would automatically be posted in the "Wishlists and feature requests" sub-forum... :-|
  1.  permalink
    Don't worry. It shows up in All Discussions anyway.

There should be similar ideas already in the Idea Bank, if you want to vote for them. Or just go ahead and add your own version as well. Others have mentioned that they would like this as well.
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2009 edited
    Thanks maintenace! I think I found it: http://ideabank.opendns.com/story.php?title=Private_Block_List_-_flag_any_redundant_entries (the problem is, that I do not want to read the long description right now... but the summery is clear enought: "Flag each entry in the private Block List which also appears in a Category list to help the user prune the Private Block List during each visit.")

I will vote for it!
    Or is there an other idea with more votes? If so, I did not find it... so please post a link... :-)
  2.  permalink
    I haven't come up with another yet, but don't be afraid to add your own idea as well. :smile:
  3.  permalink
    Administrator
    This is definitely a great idea. I know this is something we have discussed in the past. Voting on it in Idea Bank is the best way to bring it to the attention of our engineers. I will also mention this in my weekly report.

Thanks, and keep the ideas coming!

Daniel Gifford
    OpenDNS.com
    Thankful People: trendikola
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2009
    I voted for the above mentioned idea a longer while ago already.
    Here's a very similar idea: http://ideabank.opendns.com/story.php?title=Optimizing_usages_of_block_individual_domains
    Thankful People: trendikola
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2009
    Thank you for you replies.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.