Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorwormsy
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2007
    I think it would be awesome if there was another "blocker" for ads (pop ups, pop unders, and those embedded in pages) and one for sites that are known to be malware infested. Of course you can already achieve this manually with the block list in the dashboard, but it is very time consuming and there is no way to block all the sites.
    In my opinion, if opendns utilized the lists of malware infested sites from programs such as mcafee siteadvisor, linkscanner lite, and spyware blaster, all opendns users would benefit from faster, safer surfing. Also if opendns could implement an adblocker using an approach similar to adblock plus and their subscription services found here http://easylist.adblockplus.org/, it would make for a much more enjoyable, adfree internet experience.

By the way, OPENDNS ROCKS!!!!!:devil:
    Thankful People: scdaddyo, mojodean
    • CommentAuthorscdaddyo
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2007
    I concur that this capability along with a child safe feature would make OpenDNS the most popular service on the web.

As for the filtration approach I am partial to the hosts file solution talked about here:
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    :cool:
    Thankful People: wormsy, King
    • CommentAuthorwormsy
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2007 edited
    "I concur that this capability along with a child safe feature would make OpenDNS the most popular service on the web."

Thats a good idea. I think open dns already does a great job of that but if there was a way to increase child safety by blocking IM, chat room, and social blogging sites like myspace, xanga, and facebook, that would be incredible as well.

Again, OPENDNS ROCKS!!!!!:devil:
  1.  permalink
    Well OpenDNS can't do all that Adblock Plus can. All OpenDNS can do is block domain names. But that can go a pretty long way. Maybe they will do it.
    • CommentAuthor9valley
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2008
    Can I add my vote for this - basically anyone using ODNS is doing it to protect kids or stop employees wasting time wouldn't you say ;-) Its not just adult sites we need to block any more
    • CommentAuthorpencoyd
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2008
    More opportunities coming soon.
    • CommentAuthorKing
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2008
    I like where this is going as well. I think the host file at the site Enriquer mentioned is a great place to start for making a malware blocking category. :cool:

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.