Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
  1.  permalink
    hi,

I have Sprint Mobile Broadband, and I did ipconfig and it says I'm using OpenDNS as my DNS servers, but when I goto opendns.com it tells me I'm not, I have no information on my stats page... any ideas?

Thanks
    Mike
  2.  permalink
    Hey,

Same problem here... nslookup shows
    Server: resolver1.opendns.com
    Address: 208.67.222.222

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: www.opendns.com
    Address: 208.67.219.99

So my PC sees the OpenDNS config. Maybe Sprint has a transparent proxy that does the DNS lookup?
    • CommentAuthorpdabr
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2007
    Yes, this is definitely the case for some ISP's. Sprint wireless IIRC is one of those.
    • CommentAuthorfretless
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2007
    Having the same problems as stated above. I will contact Sprint to see if this can be resolved... literally ;-)
    • CommentAuthorpencoyd
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2007
    Sprint does seem to lock down DNS. Please do contact them. We're happy to discuss with the right parties.
    • CommentAuthorilmt
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2008
    i would like to setup my sprint broadband card as well.

has anyone figured anything out since dec 27th?
    • CommentAuthorpencoyd
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2008
    No news. We encourage Sprint customers to talk to Sprint about this policy, too.
    • CommentAuthorilmt
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2008
    any updates?

every time i call sprint, i get the run around...they just tell me to use their DNS servers. even after i have tried to explain to them what i am trying to do.
    • CommentAuthorpencoyd
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2008
    Sprint locks down DNS. We'd like them to do otherwise, of course.
    • CommentAuthorilmt
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2008
    i understand...does anyone have more info whether or not we will b able to bypass their DNS to use OpenDNS?

maybe a better question is, how are we able to limit web traffic/browsing on PCs that are using Sprint's network for internet access?

i have many users that are using sprint right now. i am blocking the web, however, my current method is not very practical.

thanks.
    • CommentAuthortomdlgns
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2008
    i actually have sprint mobile broadband routers that i use....

it has an admind page like a linksys or dlink router does...

i have the option to use network DNS servers OR User Defined.

even if i put in the open dns servers in the user defined box...open dns still doesnt work....

its amazing, they give me the option to choose my DNS servers but dont let me use them.

i am on the phone with sprint once a week regarding this issue.
    • CommentAuthorRed Prince
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2008
    Let your wallet explain it to them: Switch to an ISP that is not trying to control you. You are the customer, you are paying them to provide you with Internet access, so they have no business blocking any part of that access from you. And if they do, switch to a different ISP and also let Sprint know why you do.
  3.  permalink
    Has Sprint expressed at least ANYTHING regarding this issue with OpenDNS?

I just switched from another ISP to Sprint, and now I discover this seemingly "rooted" policy of them. Is there ANY way to use OpenDNS service without hacking the wireless modem?
    • CommentAuthorilmt
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2008
    every time i call i get the same run around, sir, we have no control over your issue at this time...blah blah blah...

i cant really blame the person over the phone, but this is just crazy that they dont allow us to use our own DNS servers.
    • CommentAuthordiacon
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2008
    Verizon Wireless doesn't redirect all DNS requests. You can set what ever DNS servers you wish to use.

No way around it with Sprint unless you are using a VPN connection.
    • CommentAuthortomdlgns
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2008
    this is such a catch 22 for me....

sprint has the best service in my area, so i wouldn't want to switch to verizon...on the other hand, Verizon would allow me to alter DNS settings.

Why me?

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.