Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthoraltacarp
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2010
    I have contacted opendns support for help but they are not responding. Somehow opendns is all of a sudden restricting access to webpages based on content. I tried to log in but it says my ip is already registered but I can't get access to what the settings are. Support asked for proof of ownership of ip address but will not respond to my question of what proof they need. I understood opendns was something you can choose whether or not to use it based on configuring tcp/ip properties for my internet connection. So here is the thing, my settings were to automatically assign dns and the opendns dns addresses were not used on my computer. So I guess that means that they take over your actual ip address and is not as simple as clicking a box in internet options. Since I can't access opendns settings and Support will not respond what can I do to get rid of opendns for good? Do I have to call my isp and get a new ip address or will googledns override opendns? Any help would be great since opendns support is not answering these and other questions. It is almost like we got your ip address buddy and what are you gonna do about it.
    • CommentAuthorcheemiss
    Hi altacarp

I just signed up also.....why are you panicking? Slow down. It takes support a while to respond as this is a FREE service.
    You probably hit the wrong settings. Googledns also will have email support......so why not just sort this out with
    OpenDns?

I was on the phone with my Rogers server Tekkie dept. yesterday and they too know about this service. They helped me with the FREE opendns codes and today I signed up to benefit from some of the security features.

There is a long distance phone number to contact them. +1-415-344-3118

If you really want to get rid of OpenDns, just call your internet service provider and they will give you your old codes back and help you uninstall.

I hope this helps you

Good Luck
    • CommentAuthorRed Prince
    Oh, please! Just search the forum for "Network already exists". It will explain everything.
    • CommentAuthoraltacarp
    Hi cheemis

Thanks for your support and the number. I am looking forward to regaining control over my internet connection and will wait to here from opendns support before panicking and calling my isp.
    I thought that by selecting automatically assign DNS that it would happen. Instead with that selected and the dns boxes empty I still am directed to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 opendns. Almost like my ip address is now by default assigned to opendns unless otherwise directed. Was wondering if assigning googledns does the same thing? Then does it override Opendns and take over your ip address as a default or the automatically assigned DNS server?
    I simply would like to access the settings of opendns but alas my ip seems to be registered to someone else and searching the forum for what kind of proof of ownership is accepted or required is not available. I would continue using opendns but without being able to access the settings it is kind of silly. Support has responded to confirm the ip is in fact belong to someone else and hopefully they will get back to me with some ideas as to how to regain control of my account as I would not have a problem with using opendns if I could at least control it.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    "Opendns has taken over my computer"

They have no way doing this, not at all, it is pure nonsense. You *must* have the OpenDNS server addresses configured somewhere, i.e. on the computer, on the router, on the modem, or on an internal server. Or your ISP is utilizing OpenDNS for their DNS service. There are no more options. So far so good.

However, unfortunately, if in addition your current public IP address is associated with an OpenDNS network, then you are forced to use the related settings in this case, until you can take over the IP address for *your* OpenDNS settings.

As a temporary workaround, until the IP address ownership is clarified, you can try to use another DNS service, e.g. your ISP's (in case it is not them using OpenDNS!), DynDNS Internet Guide, NEUSTAR, Level-3, NTT, OpenNIC, or whatever. However, if your ISP is persistent enough, they may still redirect you to their DNS service, maybe OpenDNS, no matter what DNS service you try to chose.

Also, if you hit the OpenDNS block page, click the contact link. There is a good chance that you can reach the current "owner" of your IP address via e-mail this way, and get them to update their IP address to their real current one, thus freeing it up for you to use.
    • CommentAuthorcheemiss
    Hi Altacarp,

I have no idea what you mean by your IP belonging to someone else. (I am so not computer savvy & the lingo is all Greek to me.) But now you have me nervous about the IP#! I am going to call Rogers and have them explain it all to me.
    I own a iMac, so installation is much different (easy as pie) than on a PC. So I can't even advise you where to look it up.

Perhaps you to should call your internet service provider to get this sorted out also.

Those numbers that you stated: "and the dns boxes empty I still am directed to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 opendns." Those are the free number that we are all suppose to use aren't they?

I think that you will find this article re: Google Dns vs Open Dns very interesting.
    http://blog.opendns.com/2009/12/03/opendns-google-dns/

I wish that I could be of more help to you, but I am still learning.
    I'm glad that your a little calmer. I have already had 2 informative emails from the support team at opendns.
    They do respond pretty quickly.

Good Luck
    • CommentAuthorcheemiss
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2010
    Me Again, Altacarp,

WOW, now I understand why you are so concerned. Rogers just explained it all to me. I too got that same message, that the IP already exists, but I thought that it had something to do with the fact that I installed the free open dns the day before signing up here. Thank you for posting your fears......it sure alerted & educated me.

Rogers is pretty concerned that I had to switch to open dns.....so they are looking deeper into my poor internet service thru them & will get back to me.

Thank you again for posting.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.