Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorjekmyster
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010
    Hi, i'm a new user for OpenDNS service. I'm primarily using the service to block networking sites which is running rampant in the office. For the most part, ive been able to block them all but it came to my attention that people could still access them on their iphone and itouches. Ture enough, when you use the safari the facebook is blocked, but when you use the specific app, for example the facebook app on the iphone it still goes thru. how can i block this?

I'm just using the Manage individual domains on the setting on our openDNS account. and i have already placed the www.facebook.com and iphone.facebook.com which specificaly blocks the browsers from the pc and the iphone. but i cant seem to figure out how the app accesses the site and how to block it.

Any ideas? Thanks
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010
    If you have configured OpenDNS on the router or own DNS server, also the mobile devices using this network will be using OpenDNS, unless they are able to configure another DNS service on them. Block this traffic on the router or firewall level.

"i have already placed the www.facebook.com and iphone.facebook.com"

This is not needed. Just facebook.com covers also all subdomains.

If you're talking about networks you do not own - well, you do not own them, so you have no influence on what DNS service is used there.
  1.  permalink
    Keep in mind that an iPhone doesn't need to connect to your network to access the internet. The iPhone has both WiFi and 3G capabilities to access the internet.
  2.  permalink
    The facebook app doesn't directly go to a subdomain of facebook; it fist goes through Apple servers, and then to facebook. So it goes through a type of Proxy Server.
    • CommentAuthorgotcha321
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2010
    You can't block phones due to 3G so you are best to manage your office. Write a procedure on personal phone use, if you supply the phones than adhere to the same policy or admin the phones and block the apps. If you pay for the phones you can control them. If you pay for them to work, you can require them to work. What they do on lunch with personal phones doesn't matter.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.