Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorRonnyM82
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2010
    I have 1 pc and 2 laptops on our home network, along with wifi connections for phones and the PS3 and Wii all hooked up.

I have installed OpenDNS but realistically, i have only done so to protect our 8 year old daughter, since she has the old laptop now we have bought the new one, to play on the internet and use e-mails between a few of her friends and her biological dad. I dont really want OpenDNS to restrict the use of my internet access or that of my wifes. For example, we use social networking sites but we dont want our daughter to given that she is only 8 years old.

Any help would be appreciated even if it means we have to use another means of internet security/content filtering.

cheers

Scott
    • CommentAuthorcrazyal15
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2010
    You can either just point her laptops DNS servers to opendns's or create a rule in your router to point her IP address to opendns's.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2010 edited
    "...or create a rule in your router to point her IP address to opendns's"

This should better read: create an outbound firewall rule on your router to redirect her DNS lookups to OpenDNS.
    Criteria:
    - source: her laptops' private IP address (or MAC address)
    - UDP & TCP with destination port 53
    You may also need to deal with the DNS responses then.
    Rather an exercise for Cisco class routers...

So your best bet may be to configure the OpenDNS server addresses just on her computer(s).
    https://store.opendns.com/setup/computer/
    Thankful People: OpenDNS User
  1.  permalink
    Another thing you may need to do if your router supports it, is to have it assign her MAC address the same exact IP address. This way if the power goes out, or the router gets rebooted, it doesn't just assign her a random IP address, which would just allow her to bypass your settings by default.
    Thankful People: OpenDNS User
  2.  permalink
    Oh, by the way. . .I believe this is referred to as DHCP reservation. Basically where your router simply reserves a specific IP to a specific MAC address on your network. . .
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2010
    "This way if the power goes out, or the router gets rebooted, it doesn't just assign her a random IP address, which would just allow her to bypass your settings by default."

I have the insane feeling this is complete nonsense. What would the private (LAN) IP address of her laptop have to do with what settings and possibilities of bypassing them??? :confused:

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.