Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
  1.  permalink
    I need to know how to temporarily disable openDNS. Does anyone know how to do this and then enable it again?? It won't let me open the adobe flash reader.
    • CommentAuthorrtk
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2010
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2010
    Simply configure another DNS service on your router or your computer.
    Here's a program which can do it quickly: http://eusing.com/ipswitch/free_ip_switcher.htm
  2.  permalink
    Thanks for your comments, but I am not at all tech savvy. It was surprising enough that I got the openDNS Family Shield to work. Is there any specific step by step instructions on how to temporarily disable openDNS??? When I have to temporarily disable my norton antivirus I just left click on the icon and a little drop box comes down saying "disable." Thanks in advance for any input!
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2010 edited
    Yeah, Norton AV is software, so it may have a right-click context "disable". OpenDNS is not software, but a service you can use, so there is no right-click option...

And again, instead of the FamilyShield IP addresses 208.67.222.123 and 208.67.220.123 you're just using, you'll want to use any other DNS server addresses, to be taken from an internet search or from your ISP. Shouldn't be too difficult and too technical to replace two numbers by others, right?

"It won't let me open the adobe flash reader."

If this is the reason why you want to temporarily disable OpenDNS, you may have gotten the wrong approach. Not sure if you are referring to the Adobe PDF Reader or to the Adobe Flash Player, but neither of them depends on OpenDNS in any way. However, it may be that related web content is being blocked and therefore not opening with the Adobe application.

Also, often enabling and disabling OpenDNS is just too awful. Because beside changing the DNS server addresses you had to flush all caches, browser and local resolver. Just too many efforts to be very handy. Better maintain an OpenDNS network with particular settings, where you can determine what is blocked if at all. And no, this is not much to do with being "tech savvy".
    Thankful People: maintenance
  3.  permalink
    Unlike Norton, OpenDNS is not an application, so cannot be disabled in such a manner natively.

http://eusing.com/ipswitch/free_ip_switcher.htm as rotblitz suggested, is your one-click answer once you install it and do a small configuration.

Once you install it, drag a copy of the program shortcut from the Programs menu or Desktop to wherever it is quickly accessible to you (like the Quick Launch bar or the top of the Start Menu) if the default shortcut locations don't suit your needs.

Once you start the program, you'll see a number of Settings Tabs - we'll use the first two. We only need to mind the small DNS section at the lower right of the tab.

Set 1: Tick the check box "DNS Server". Tick the radio button "Obtain DNS server automatically".

Set 2: Tick the check box "DNS Server". Tick the radio button "Use the following DNS server addresses". Enter the DNS address(es)* in the fields provided.

* If you configured OpenDNS on the computer, put the OpenDNS addresses here.
    If you configured OpenDNS on the router, put your ISP's DNS addresses or the addresses of another public DNS service here. Level 3 or Google is good for this.
    http://www.tech-faq.com/public-dns-servers.html

If you right-click the tabs, you can choose to rename them to reflect the DNS settings.

Now, when you want to switch DNS, start the app, choose the appropriate tab, and click the Activate button.

Caveat: You generally need to flush your browser cache and local resolver cache after changing settings. This is particularly true once you have, in the current session, attempted to visit a site you have blocked with OpenDNS while you are using the OpenDNS servers. It will still come up blocked after switching DNS because you now have the page and DNS response cached locally.

Options: Local resolver cache:

1) You can turn off the local resolver permanently with no ill effect (and sometimes an improvement) by disabling the Windows DNS Client Service.
    Start > type services.msc in the Run box > click OK
    Find DNS Client in the list > double-click it > click Stop > wait for it to stop > Choose Manual from the Startup type box > click Apply > click OK.

2) You can flush the cache by typing ipconfig /flushdns in the Run box or at the command line.

3) You can make this a one-click operation by typing ipconfig /flushdns into a text file and saving it. Rename the file with the CMD extension, e.g., FlushDNS.cmd. Drag and drop this next to the IP Switcher shortcut for ease of use.

Browser:

Instructions for flushing the browser cache (temporary internet files) depends on the browser.

Two birds with one stone: Use CCleaner.

(Note that your browser may need to be closed for CCleaner to empty the cache.)

If you don't already use this, you can get it here
    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Again, after you install this, drag a copy of the shortcut wherever you have the IP Switcher shortcut for ease of use.

For the specific use here, you only need a few settings selected.
    Under Windows tab, System section, select DNS cache.

If you use IE, select Temporary Internet Files under the IE section.

If you use any other browsers, click the Applications tab, and select Internet Cache under whichever browsers you use.

You can un-check any or all other settings as you see fit.

To run it, start the app, click Analyze, then click Run Cleaner when analysis is complete.

I know that looks long, but you aren't going to be needing every option. This shouldn't be scary at all. Post back if you have any further questions.
    Thankful People: rotblitz
  4.  permalink
    Oh my.

"Not sure if you are referring to the Adobe PDF Reader or to the Adobe Flash Player, but neither of them depends on OpenDNS in any way. However, it may be that related web content is being blocked and therefore not opening with the Adobe application."

This is quite true. rnelson8668, you may be looking in the wrong direction.

"Also, often enabling and disabling OpenDNS is just too awful."

Just look at that wad of text I posted. Could be awful, if it really, really isn't your cup of tea.
  5.  permalink
    I really don't know how to do any of the above. All I know is ever since I installed openDNS Family Shield on my computer, my computer has been running extremely slow. So slow that I click on something and then go do something for a few minutes, come back and it might be up by then.

I just want to know how to not use the service anymore. I tried calling the # on the website but it is only for business inquiries and its an answering machine.

I'm not a computer person. I use email, word, excel, and my kids google information for school projects, that's it.
  6.  permalink
    You didn't install anything. All you did was change DNS servers. This cannot slow down your computer, stop you from opening PDF files, or whatever.

"I really don't know how to do any of the above."

The instructions are explicit. Feel free to ignore them, though, as using Family Shield cannot be causing the problems you face.

"I just want to know how to not use the service anymore."

You just undo it the way you originally did it: Remove the Family Shield IPs from wherever you configured them. Return the DNS setting from "static" to DHCP, auto, or whatever the other choice might be called.

For hints, see the setup page where you learned how to add the addresses originally.
    Thankful People: rotblitz, OpenDNS User

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.