Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorkazhop
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2010
    Hi

I just set up OpenDNS on my home router and my computers are now accessing the internet via OpenDNS.

For a while my iPhone could not access the internet but I change the DNS settings and all seems to be OK.

On my Blackberry (Bold 9700 on BES) it accesses the internet fine via a 3G connection (although through a proxy so OpenDNS is not fully functional) but on the WiFi only connection all internet access is blocked.

How can I fix this?
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2010
    "my computers are now accessing the internet via OpenDNS."

No, not really. They just use OpenDNS for name resolution. DNS is nothing to do with connectivity.

"on the WiFi only connection all internet access is blocked."

Is this *your* WiFi/WLAN? If not: OpenDNS is for networks, *your* networks, not for devices.

"How can I fix this?"

In general, if you have configured the OpenDNS server addresses on the router, all computers and other devices should be configured to obtain DNS settings automatically (via DHCP). Did you do this, or did you do something different? Especially as you say "but I change the DNS settings".

"via a 3G connection (although through a proxy so OpenDNS is not fully functional)"

OpenDNS may not work at all for you over a 3G connection, especially not if a proxy is involved. Or it just works as a "normal" recursive DNS service. In the worst case it looks like as if you have no internet connectivity, but in fact you just have no DNS, because the ISP or other provider may prevent you from using 3rd party DNS services.
    Thankful People: kazhop
    • CommentAuthoropendnsjp
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2010
    The provider of your Blackberry, or perhaps the company you work for, may have set a specific policy where OpenDNS will not work, and/or the WiFi is explicitly disabled. If that is the case, there is nothing you will be able to do about it.

You may want to try refreshing your "service books" see: http://www.mahalo.com/how-to-get-a-blackberry-service-book

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.