Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthormsetter
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2011
    I wish to set my sons new samsung android phone to use opendns to take advantage of the family filter.
    My wireless router is however an Orange Livebox which does not have a facility for changing the dns server settings apparently. I also do not seem to be able to change the dns servers on the phone anywhere.
    I'd like to retain the Livebox as I use the home phone facility but can I add a different wireless router for the mobile connections and succesfully route those to the Livebox somehow or do I have to replace the Livebox completely?
    Thanks for any suggestions.
    Mike
    Thankful People: jounety
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2011
    "I also do not seem to be able to change the dns servers on the phone anywhere."

Why not? Also such a device should have (WLAN) network settings configuration pages, where you should be able to enter static DNS server addresses. Check the manual of that device.

"can I add a different wireless router for the mobile connections and succesfully route those to the Livebox somehow..."

This forum is probably the wrong place to ask this question, as it is nothing to do with OpenDNS. You better asked that in a forum where Livebox issues are discussed.

"... or do I have to replace the Livebox completely?"

And this one is an ideal question for your ISP's support forum.

Whatever, would you really take such efforts just because of one android phone? I do not think it's worth the efforts, so better go the way changing the DNS settings on the phone to use the FamilyShield addresses.

See https://store.opendns.com/setup/computer/ - Mobile devices

More about your Livebox: http://forums.opendns.com/search.php?&PostBackAction=Search&Keywords=livebox&Type=Comments&btnSubmit=Search
  1.  permalink
    Configuring on a router: If you find you cannot configure the Orange Livebox, you can always place a configurable router between that gateway and the rest of your network. (I.e., you don't have to remove the Orange device).

If the mobile phone connects also to other WLANS and/or has it's own wireless internet, OpenDNS on the phone may not be functional, and may even cause problems.
    There is updater for phones, but manually updating may cause serious issues - OpenDNS is for networks you own, not for individual (especially roaming) devices. Family Shield would be a best solution for a phone as rotblitz notes.
    Thankful People: tediorbee
    • CommentAuthorabarry
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2011
    For Android phones, DNS for a local WIFI network can be set under Settings->Wireless & Networks->WiFi Settings, then use the Menu button to access the Advanced Settings, select to use a Static IP, and enter the details on the fields that then become available. If you are using multiple wireless networks, then use the App called 'Wifi Static' from the App Market to configure settings for different wireless networks - it will change the settings automatically for you. This will provide OpenDNS via the 'phone's wireless. For content protection over the 'phones APN (3G/Edge), you will need to use the Adult Content settings of your 'phone provider.
  2.  permalink
    That still leaves the issue of updating the phone's IP address, which should not be done in WiFi networks you do not own (and probably will not work anyway).
    Thankful People: msmeghanelaina

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.