Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorveagles
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2008
    I cannot add a network in my settings. When i enter my IP, i get a message "Network already exists".
    I have never configured OpenDns but, sites are getting blocked..

Please help me out..
    • CommentAuthorpencoyd
    Please contact support with the details... http://www.opendns.com/contact/
    • CommentAuthorvj99
    i have the same problem...
    • CommentAuthorpencoyd
    Possible that another customer of the same ISP or upstream set up an account and did not properly record the IP as dynamic. Our support team can sort this out quickly with details.
    Thankful People: netadminhqe2
  1.  permalink
    it wont let me do shit and i never signed up for this or anything it just appeared
  2.  permalink
    elliottm2333:

You can't do what and what just appeared?

You want to add your network and you're getting a "Network already exists" error? If so, follow the instructions in this thread.

Or did you suddenly discover that you're using OpenDNS when you didn't make the change yourself? Perhaps another user on your computer, or your network administrator, or your ISP changed it.
    • CommentAuthordnsdolphin
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2008
    @elliottm

LOL
    • CommentAuthormike240se
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2008
    yeah i am wondering when one of my users will be on here asking how to disable open dns... lol, they HATE it. I LOVE it.
    • CommentAuthorapolloturk
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2008
    i have same problem.I connecting on a university connection and static ip.
  3.  permalink
    is there any wayto dlete the network if it keeps popping up"network already exists" . Obviously not at user level for security reasons. But at the level of people who are incharge of open dns server. I like it so much. But I am not able to use it at my home. I can add shortcuts but no access to filters. I send several messages to http://www.opendns.com/contact/ without much success. I guess they must be busy.
  4.  permalink
    Administrator
    @sovereignpines - I have resolved this issue. Sorry for the delay.
  5.  permalink
    Administrator
    @sovereignpines - I have resolved this issue. Sorry for the delay.
    Thankful People: hnhs, noah47, onkings
    • CommentAuthorgchintal
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2008
    @dgifford-No you did a great job! I was just impatient. Thanks again
    • CommentAuthorjan7
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2008
    Im having the same problem. can't add my IP in network, it always says NETWORK ALREADY EXISTS
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    Your current IP address is already in use by another OpenDNS user.
    What country are you located?
    • CommentAuthorjan7
    from Philippines Sir.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    Could it be that you are sharing your public IP address with many other users of the same ISP? In this case you must open a support ticket with OpenDNS at http://www.opendns.com/support/contact so that they can exclude this address for personal use, or to look for another solution.
    • CommentAuthorjan7
    done that sir.. but still no feedback..
    •  
      CommentAuthorcorykrug
    Administrator
    @jandiaz I'm having one of our support people look into this for you.
  6.  permalink
    Hi all - anyone who is having issues with a "network already exists" error message should 1st go to: www.whatismyip.com and send the results to: http://www.opendns.com/contact/

We typically answer all tickets within 24 - 48 hours (and sooner if at all possible), we appreciate your patience and look forward to assisting you!
    Thankful People: hittt, mikedaniel, noah47
    • CommentAuthorourpobox
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2008
    I have a related question. I have OpenDNS set up in my router, and want to set my IP up in my account as a network, so I get the filtering capabilities. I wouldn't have a conflict and get the "Network already exists" message from my router accessing at that IP address, would I?
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2008
    As long as you have set your router to use the OpenDNS servers, no, you never will face this problem. In this case you only use OpenDNS for DNS queries, but not for e.g. filtering.

But if you have set up your router in addition to update your IP address of your OpenDNS network (in case your router is capable doing this), your router might see this message, in the rare case that someone else has caught this IP address before, and missed to update it afterwards. The same applies for any other update method, e.g. from your computer. If you have a dynamic IP address, you should be aware that you need to keep your IP address in sync with the one registered in your OpenDNS network to make filtering (and other features) work.

Further reading: http://www.opendns.com/support/category/124
    • CommentAuthormmtc
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2008
    Good Afternoon,

I am having the same issue when trying to add a Static IP Address. "Network Already Exists" I have opened a Support Ticket but haven't heard anything back. It has been over a week.

As the IP Address is a business IP Address I do not wish to show in this thread.

Thanks in advance,
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2008 edited
    Someone else in your business has already an OpenDNS account and added a network with this shared static IP address. He/she was faster than you and is the "winner". Only one person/computer in your business can have this, or the whole business must share it. So, what do you expect OpenDNS to help you in this case? Why do you get OpenDNS to decide who in your business can use OpenDNS to its full? OpenDNS would block this IP address, so that it cannot be added to any network at all by anybody. Is this what you want them to do? Wouldn't it be better to come to an agreement within your business instead of involving third parties?

Edit: After having seen again your other post at http://forums.opendns.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=2097&page=1#Item_3 from a week ago (where you might have opened a ticket at this occasion), I could imagine that your business regularly uses OpenDNS and therefore blocks sites for you. And now you are looking for ways to get around this. Right? I can very well understand OpenDNS that they didn't come back to you!
    • CommentAuthormmtc
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2008 edited
    Hey Rotblitz,

Adam and I operate from the same business and are the only ones with the password to the OpenDNS account as we are the Network Administrators.

The IP Address isn't in our Networks list although when I added the IP Address the first time offside it did need verification, I deleted it because I wasn't at the computer. I remote connected to the computer, to add the Network that way that is when i got the message "Network Already Exists".

Not sure if that makes any sense.

>>And now you are looking for ways to get around this. Right?
    As for that NO. We are implementing OpenDNS to stop staff from getting to sites they shouldn't be and wasting time.

Thanks,
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2008
    Ok, sorry, but I've often seen related threads here, where people complained about being blocked by OpenDNS, but where one could see that they were employees of a business, who had used OpenDNS for the same purpose as you intend to do. Again, your static IP address has apparently caught by another human before, probably an employee or other personnel from your corporate network. Only OpenDNS staff can help here.
  7.  permalink
    Administrator
    @mmtc:

I checked our ticket system and do not see a ticket from you. Can you resubmit so that we can resolve this issue for you?
    Thankful People:
    • CommentAuthormmtc
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2008
    Good Morning dgifford,

I have re-sent the support ticket. Thanks for your support. Also thanks rotblitz for your input. All much appreciated

Thanks,
    Josh.
    • CommentAuthormmtc
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2008
    Good Afternoon dgifford,

Haven't heard anything back from you just wondering if there was some problems?

Thanks and Regards,
    Josh.
  8.  permalink
    Administrator
    Please email me directly at daniel at opendns dot com. I do not see any tickets from you in our database.
    • CommentAuthormmtc
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2008
    Thanks for that. I have sent an email.
    • CommentAuthorace90
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2008
    I'm having troubles trying to set up a dynammic IP for Open DNS. I did what's being told like enable Dynamic IP server those stuffs but nothing seems to work now. :/
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2008
    What are the evidences that it does not work? More details please! Any error messages or other messages? Coming out of what program or web page?

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.