Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
  1.  permalink
    Administrator
    Shortcuts are used by less than 0.1% of our customers and no longer work as reliably as we'd like them to. Therefore, we will soon be hiding the feature for new customers until we can bring it back without it causing more headaches than it solves. For existing customers, if you are using shortcuts, configuration of shortcuts will move into Settings and will no longer occupy an entire tab of navigation. Please contact support if you have any feedback on this change. We hope that streamlining the product in this way, will make it easier to use and understand, especially for new customers.

Daniel Gifford
    OpenDNS.com
  2.  permalink
    Probably a very good idea.
    Thankful People: adnan2kpr
  3.  permalink
    good
    • CommentAuthorkreuger
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2011
    Thanks for keeping it for us existing users. It's the main feature that attracted me to OpenDNS
    • CommentAuthorian_m
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2011
    good feature, works wel on my network
    • CommentAuthorkilleur92i
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2011
    hello

i am used shortcuts for favorite site:cool:
    best regards
  4.  permalink
    Shortcuts are what got me to use OpenDNS. Sadly though I have seen how they have been more and more of a struggle to utilize in each new browser.
    • CommentAuthornvl
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2011
    it's really work ful
    • CommentAuthorimpz
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2011
    I *don't* use short cuts *at the moment* because they don't do what I want. I'd like to be able to add local IP here and be able to route traffic not just http.

Just to note this would make open DNS very sticky for me. ISPs are starting to catch up the extra that OpenDNS offers ...

Here's hoping shortcuts come back working even better.
  5.  permalink
    A DNS server on the internet is going to "route traffic" on your LAN?
    • CommentAuthorbigsky1970
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2011
    I use shortcuts all the time, and now they don't seem to work, or haven't worked for two days and now I am having to type the whole address into the URL bar.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    Is the OpenDNS Guide no longer default search engine for your browser?
    Is your IP address information updated at the dashboard?
    My IP is a dynamic IP and hasn't changed for years, and the OpenDNS Guide stopped being the default search engine the same day my shortcuts quit working. I haven't mucked around with the settings in my dashboard. The only time I have ever been in my dashboard is when I add a new shortcut. Now when I type in a shortcut it goes to Google search results (which is the default web search in Firefox).
    I was getting a 503 (Service Unavailable) error all day on Sunday, now I don't get that.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    "the OpenDNS Guide stopped being the default search engine the same day my shortcuts quit working."

So, you explained it yourself. Then establish the Guide as the default search engine again, and your shortcuts will work.
    • CommentAuthordansmail26
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2011
    My shortcuts also just started working/not working randomly, something has changed.

Also, I can't believe shortcuts aren't used extensively. I have almost every website I go to set up as one.
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2011
    I'm getting the 503 error when I type a shortcut in. Using firefox 3.6.13
    • CommentAuthoremtunc
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2011
    My installations always need a bit of tinkering before OpenDNS shortcuts work but when they do, they're great.
    I use them a lot and it would be a shame if they were to ever be removed :smile:
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2011
    "I'm getting the 503 error when I type a shortcut in. Using firefox 3.6.13"

Again, you must define the OpenDNS Guide as default search engine to make shortcuts work.
    http://guide.opendns.com/url=
    And probably some other settings depending on the browser. For FireFox in about:config:
    keyword.URL = http://guide.opendns.com/?url=
    keyword.enabled = true
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2011
    I do have that in, same results. It works intermittendly, sometimes the shortcuts work and sometimes they don't. I have been trying to isolate when they do/don't work but can't come up with a pattern!
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2011
    any ideas why it would work sometimes and sometimes not?
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    Is your IP address information updated all the time? If not, this would explain the symptom.
    I don't have a static ip, but my ip hasn't changed. Is there a setting to make sure the info is updated?
  6.  permalink
    Yes, you would run the Updater client, and ensure that Enable Dynamic IP Update is checked in your Dashboard settings.
  7.  permalink
    I have had the same problem with shortcuts. Sometimes they work and sometimes they give me a 503 error. And if that wasn't enough sometimes one shortcut will work then when I open another a different shortcut won't. I've checked all the usual things on all the computers & router in my home. All the comps & my router has the opendns addresses in their dns fields. I've also added the "guide.opendns.com" to the search domains field in the networking settings of system preferences on every computer (Mac only household) This problem also seems to happen in both Safari & FireFox. I cant seem to find any problem on my end. I hope it's just a temporary bug & is fixed soon. Shortcuts are one of the things that brought me to opendns & would be sad to loose it.
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2011
    My symptoms are identical to onecomputersavvyguy.
    • CommentAuthornvkpnt
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2011
    I'm also having the same problem described by onecomputersavvyguy
    • CommentAuthorcharlieg
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2011
    I am having the same issue trying to use shortcuts. I use them constantly and I have been finding the lack of the ability to use them extremely frustrating. I hope they decide to fix them soon.
  8.  permalink
    This is an "Update on Shortcuts" sticky thread. If you are having problems, please start your own topic thread or open a support ticket.
  9.  permalink
    great, so we have been asking for weeks and now we get this answer!
    Thanks
  10.  permalink
    What needs tobe done to make shortcuts work in Chromium/Chrome?
    I used the tip above for Firefox, but it didn't work for Chromium.

FYI: My shortcuts *do* work when using FireFox...
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2011
    As with every browser, you normally have to add the Guide as default search engine:
    http://guide.opendns.com/?url=%s
    Thankful People: Tripple Moon
    • CommentAuthoraziz22
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2011
    thanks
    • CommentAuthorsolari
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2011
    How do I edit/revise my shortcuts I've already put in? I can't access that area anymore and there's no reference to it. It used to be available at the /shortcuts page.

Thanks,
    Ray
    • CommentAuthormaintenance
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2011 edited
    Under Advanced Settings, Network Shortcuts, click the link.

edit: If you've created a new account since the Shortcuts notice above, they will not be available.
    • CommentAuthorsolari
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2011
    Odd, it was there yesterday and I edited a few things, but now it's not showing up anymore...
  11.  permalink
    Open a support ticket.
    Thankful People: iliaselmatani
    • CommentAuthorratcheer
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2011
    Used by less than 0.1% of customers? Dern, shortcuts are my favorite OpenDNS feature!

Tim
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2011
    "but now it's not showing up anymore..."

Try this direct link: https://www.opendns.com/dashboard/shortcuts/

You can even add a shortcut to it. :wink:
    E.g.: sc --> https://www.opendns.com/dashboard/shortcuts/

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.