Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at http://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorguanaco
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2011
    Hi there I’m a moderator and I was deeply troubled by something.
    When I was moderating domains in the Proxy/Anonymizer category, I noticed that some of the domains no longer existed or were for sale. Judging from the URL these websites used to be proxies but now they are nonexistent or for sale. Should I approve or reject these domains in the category?
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2011
    My humble opinion: If the domain names are so clear that they can be used only as proxies/anonymizers, then yes, approve them as such. You may want to submit/approve them as "Parked domain" too case by case.
    Thankful People: maintenance, emtunc, guanaco
    • CommentAuthoremtunc
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2011 edited
    In my opinion, domains should be tagged according to what the website presents to the user at time of tagging, i.e., is the website serving as a proxy or is it clearly parked and not being used for such purposes?

Although what rotblitz said makes sense, I don't think it is very fair for a domain to be tagged in a category if it does not fulfill the requirements of said category.

But then again, it could just be easier to just block all domains which 'look' like they could be proxy for proxy related purposes and unblock at a later date if they turn out to be false-positives. However, I think this approach is likely to produce a lot of false positives.

Anyway, this is just my opinion and I see both sides to the argument... it just seems a bit of a 'grey area' to me :smile:
    Thankful People: sailing
  1.  permalink
    The point is, if the parked domain is freeproxy4u.com, or xxxhardcoresexvids.info, the likelihood of those domains being used for anything other than the obvious, should the be activated, is vanishingly small.

(Hilariously, my example freeproxy4u.com is, in fact, a live parked domain. Not in domain tagging here...)
    Thankful People: rotblitz, emtunc, sailing
    • CommentAuthorguanaco
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2011
    So just to get this straight, using the above example freeproxy4u.com should be in the Proxy/Anonymizer category, right?
    So what about sites that no longer exist?
    • CommentAuthormaintenance
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2011 edited
    Well, freeproxy4u does no longer exist (if it ever did) as anything other than a parked domain. I would classify it as a Parked Domain, and because of the name, I would classify it as Proxy/Anonymizer. A parked domain munchausenbyproxy.org, I would not classify as Proxy, as it is not clearly about internet proxy services.

If the domain does not exist at all, you cannot possibly classify it as anything at all, unless the domain name clearly defines the site function.

By no means do you have to classify parked domains as anything other than Parked Domains, and you may freely ignore or flag for review domains which do not exist at all.

edit: of/or
    Thankful People: rotblitz, emtunc
    • CommentAuthoremtunc
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2011
    I think that is a sensible solution. Bleeding obvious ones such as 'freeproxy4u' should safely be marked as parked and proxy/anonymizer.
    You will most likely come across many domains with 'proxy' in the name so many of your decisions will be based on a hunch... or not at all if you are not sure :smile:
    Thankful People: rotblitz, maintenance
    •  
      CommentAuthorfatts
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2011 edited
    Administrator
    If the submission is returning a parked domain, just reject it in the category. You are also welcome to submit the domain into the 'parked domains' category via the 'Submit Domains' page (http://www.opendns.com/community/domaintagging/submit).

@guanaco - In the future, please email me directly (vinny (at) opendns.com) about any questions regarding the duties of being an OpenDNS moderator :)
    Thankful People: zelus, maintenance, sailing, bradwbu

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.