Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at https://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthoreitan900
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2011
    First openDNS worked ok i.e blocking all the sites which I set it to block I wanted to see if it will still work if i will unplug and plug my modem(and router) so that my ip will change(I have openDNS updater up and running) and after that it didnt block any site but the OpenDNS site says that i am using OpenDNS and according to him all should work but it doesn't so my question is how do I make OpenDNS filter web sites even after I unplug and plug modem(and router)?
  1.  permalink
    =after that it didnt block any site but the OpenDNS site says that i am using OpenDNS ==

So you are saying http://welcome.opendns.com says you are using OpenDNS?

Off the top of my head, I have to ask if your OpenDNS credentials are properly entered in the updater.
    Thankful People: zelus
    • CommentAuthortomdlgns
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2011
    if your DNS servers are pointing to 208.67.222.222 and 220.220 and you visit the welcome.opendns.com page, even if you don't have an account created at opendns.com, you will still get the message saying that you are using OpenDNS. even though specific filtering isn't happening, you are still using their DNS servers.

i realize you are taking about the portal showing the ISP ip addres, but i figured i should still point that out.
    • CommentAuthoreitan900
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2011
    cindelicato yes,my OpenDNS credentials are properly entered in the updater.
  2.  permalink
    OK, what does http://welcome.opendns.com tell you? Are the issues you reported in your original post?
  3.  permalink
    Minor point: Try rebooting your devices normally. Unplugging/plugging your devices may corrupt configuration and disturb the normal operation of the devices. (Which *maybe* (just maybe) is a possible cause of the issue.)

Did you check to make sure that your IP was updated?
    • CommentAuthoreitan900
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2011 edited
    Yes I checked that the IP was updated.And I will use OpenDNS only if I can make it web filter even when I unplug and plug the modem and router so even if rebooting them normally would work if I wont be able to solve this problem I will probably stop using openDNS.
  4.  permalink
    That's fine. But my point is that nothing may work very well if you continue to do that. That's the same thing as power outages and surges, which is never good for electronics, let alone anything which stores data in RAM.

But if you can't enjoy using OpenDNS, by all means, don't use it.
    • CommentAuthoreitan900
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2011
    If I will have no choice I won't use it but I really want to use it the thing is that I need to set up the web filtering that there won't be a chance for me to bypass it so that's why its important for me so you have any ideas how to keep it filtering the sites even when I unplug and plug my machine?
  5.  permalink
    There are ten thousand ways to bypass filtering if you own the network- you have admin privileges on the OS, the router, and the OpenDNS account. But unplugging and plugging the router may eventually break it or bork the configuration, leaving you with no internet at all. How's that for not bypassing filtering? :shocked:

I couldn't begin to tell you why the filtering isn't working if you are using OpenDNS and your IP is updated correctly. You may want to open a support ticket.
  6.  permalink
    I had the same problem - router reboot and then nothing blocked. I re-installed the OpenDNS installer and everything is working fine now.
  7.  permalink
    sorry - I meant re-installed the OpenDNS updater

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.