Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at https://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
  1.  permalink
    I have been trying to block cam4 from my network. All other domains seem to work appropriately. When I block the individual domain cam4.com, if I enter cam4.com in the address box, it blocks it appropriately. However, if I enter www.cam4.com, it goes through without any problem. I've also added www.cam4.com to my individual domains blocked and get the same results. Why would the WWW make a difference? Thanks.
    • CommentAuthoropendnsjp
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2011 edited
    Have you flushed your caches?

DNS: https://www.opendns.com/support/article/68

...and your browser too!

...and/or restart your computer.

Note to OpenDNS staff - perhaps the reason this "problem" keeps appearing in the forums is because article 68 makes no reference to why/when it is necessary. Although, the search function is a little strange, so maybe it won't help... Example 1: search for "flush" = Sorry, no articles found / but "flushdns" = Article 68 ! huh?
    Example 2: search for "website not blocked" (something a user might try) and get every article except 68 ???
  2.  permalink
    I had restarted my computer, and had reset the browser. I had not flushed my DNS cache. I've done that now, but the problem still exists. I've got OPENDNS set up on my Time Capsule Router if that makes a difference...
  3.  permalink
    Articles 67 and 68. You must always flush all browser and local resolver caches upon initial configuration and whenever settings are changed.

Blocking cam4.com should block any subdomain thereof, including www.

Are all DNS fields in the router filled with OpenDNS addresses? Do computers have any different DNS addresses in their configuration? Are you using a browser with a "turbo mode" (like Opera)?

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.