Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at https://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorrealme77
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2011 edited
    im experiencing this problem since last week. anyone can help me figure out what was the problem..?
    Thankful People: zorro31
  1.  permalink
    Try powering off your router(s) and/or gateway for a minute before turning them back on. Try also emptying your browser cache.

It isn't a DNS problem, OpenDNS resolves this domain normally, and the site itself loads fine for me.
    http://www.opendns.com/support/cache/
    http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/www.maybank2u.com.my

Is there an error message?
    • CommentAuthorrealme77
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2011 edited
    i didn't capture the page/error message, but somehow related to page cannot load properly, but i've cleared my cache and also perform dns flush.

i've turned off my router and now im able to open the site with no problem. do i have to turn off my router if the problem persist? thanks for helping
  2.  permalink
    If turning off the router fixed the problem, the cause is usually a previous power outage or a fluctuation in the electrical current that corrupted the configuration or cache on the router. Powering it off until the capacitors drain, therefore allowing the RAM to loose all its stored memory will frequently fix this sort of issue with routers. If this sort of problem occurs frequently, I'd suggest getting a good UPS (battery backup and power filter). It could also be a problem in the power supply for the router itself, which is likely a transformer on the power cord.

If you do live in a building or area that has frequent power fluctuations, a good UPS can greatly extend the life of computers and other electronic equipment, and prevent data loss and other problems. If your problem seems to be a singular occrrence, don't worry about it, although a good UPS is always a good idea.
    Thankful People: nvidia20082008
  3.  permalink
    Hi, this has been an issue the past week with www.maybank2u.com.my

Open DNS
    PING www.maybank2u.com.my (67.215.65.132): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 67.215.65.132: icmp_seq=0 ttl=57 time=11.142 ms

Google DNS
    PING www.maybank2u.com.my (202.162.17.68): 56 data bytes
    Request timeout for icmp_seq 0

Open DNS has issues opening the website, Google DNS seems to work.

Any ideas?
    • CommentAuthormaintenance
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2011 edited
    1) Never use ping as any sort of internet diagnostic. Use dig or nslookup for DNS diagnostics. Using ping, you can't even claim which DNS you were using - OpenDNS, Google, or out of a local cache in your network.

2) (Open)DNS does not "open websites".

3) If you are getting returns of 67.215.65.132 (hit-nxdomain.opendns.com), then there was no authoritative NS responding to the OpenDNS resolvers at the time. This could be due to network trouble, maintenance shutdown on the NS, transfer of auth. NS records, whatever.

nslookup www.maybank2u.com.my. 208.67.220.220
    nslookup www.maybank2u.com.my. 8.8.8.8

This also saves you from reconfiguring settings just to test servers.

Server: resolver2.opendns.com
    Address: 208.67.220.220

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: www.maybank2u.com.my
    Address: 202.162.17.68

nslookup www.maybank2u.com.my. 8.8.8.8
    Server: google-public-dns-a.google.com
    Address: 8.8.8.8

edited for trailing dots (A must for domain names when using nslookup, unless you have already accounted for DNS suffixes. Best practice to always use trailing dots anyway. Mea culpa.)
    Thankful People: rotblitz, nvidia20082008
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2011
    ...but the trailing dots are missing. :wink:

(Good, you don't have DNS search suffixes activated, so no problem.)
    Thankful People: maintenance
  4.  permalink
    It's funny, I realized I had done that after I'd left the house. Thanks for making it easier to find out which post I'd done that in!

And no, I always kill the DNS suffix fields. :smile: I think I must have trained myself, because I always make an FQDN when not using one of my own computers. Now I must make sure I keep doing so when posting here. I've caught and corrected posts before regarding this. I must be more diligent in the future.
  5.  permalink
    1) Never use ping as any sort of internet diagnostic. Use dig or nslookup for DNS diagnostics. Using ping, you can't even claim which DNS you were using - OpenDNS, Google, or out of a local cache in your network.

Thanks for the tip.

2) (Open)DNS does not "open websites".

Don't worry, I generally know what DNS does. I meant when trying to access a website it works with Google DNS not OpenDNS.

3) If you are getting returns of 67.215.65.132 (hit-nxdomain.opendns.com), then there was no authoritative NS responding to the OpenDNS resolvers at the time. This could be due to network trouble, maintenance shutdown on the NS, transfer of auth. NS records, whatever.

OK, this seems to be the problem. Hopefully OpenDNS can avoid such issues in the future, www.maybank2u.com.my is a major website for South East Asia... We don't want people migrating to Google DNS now, do we? ;)
  6.  permalink
    BTW as of now everything seems to be back to normal.
  7.  permalink
    Oops, spoke to soon. It seems to be fluctuating:

Server: 208.67.220.220
    Address: 208.67.220.220#53

Address: 67.215.65.132

This has been going on for at least a week now, When it returns 67.215.65.132 is it due to OpenDNS, Maybank or something else?

This is the number one banking website in Malaysia and top 15 website in the country ( http://www.alexa.com/topsites/countries/MY )

I hope OpenDNS can shed more light on this, I really, really don't want to shift to GoogleDNS but if this persists I will have to set GoogleDNS for my parents because I can't be telling them all the time how to change DNS servers. At the same time I don't want to use the local ISP DNS servers due to censorship, etc.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2011 edited
    67.215.65.132 stands for hit-nxdomain.opendns.com, i.e. it represents an NXDOMAIN error response: domain name does not exist in the Domain Name System.

I don't have any problem resolving www.maybank2u.com.my.
    Cache check doesn't show a problem either: http://www.opendns.com/support/cache/
    You should do a cache check each time the problem occurs.

Btw, what OpenDNS location are you using?
    nslookup -type=txt which.opendns.com.

And if you're looking for a temporary workaround, add this line to your hosts file:
    202.162.17.68 www.maybank2u.com.my maybank2u.com.my
  8.  permalink
    I suspect it's the Singapore OpenDNS server that has an issue. Please see below. Surprisingly, cache check shows no problems. Anyway, I'll contact support to update them in case they (you?) are not aware of this ongoing issue.

nslookup www.maybank2u.com.my. 208.67.222.222
    Server: 208.67.222.222
    Address: 208.67.222.222#53

Address: 67.215.65.132

nslookup -type=txt which.opendns.com
    Server: 208.67.222.222
    Address: 208.67.222.222#53

which.opendns.com text = "11.sin"

Authoritative answers can be found from:
    Thankful People: rotblitz
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2011
    "I suspect it's the Singapore OpenDNS server that has an issue."

Not necessarily.

"Anyway, I'll contact support to update them..."

A good idea! https://www.opendns.com/dashboard/support/

"...in case they (you?) are not aware of this ongoing issue."

I'm just an OpenDNS user like you. And I can confirm that I have the same problem today:

14:18:31,07 nslookup www.maybank2u.com.my.
    Server: localhost
    Address: 127.0.0.1

Nicht autorisierte Antwort:
    Address: 67.215.77.132

But minutes later it resolves again:

14:20:15,60 nslookup www.maybank2u.com.my.
    Server: localhost
    Address: 127.0.0.1

Nicht autorisierte Antwort:

Weird...!
  9.  permalink
    Cheers rotblitz... I thought I was going crazy for a while seeing it resolve one second then not the next. I can see some other OpenDNS threads popping up where frustrated users can't access this Maybank website. It's like not being able to use an ATM. It's a major Malaysian bank website for everything from checking your bank account to paying bills, transferring funds to other people and buying movie tickets, etc.

I've opened a ticket with OpenDNS. In the meantime I've seen some fellow countrymen/women opening up other threads, I'll try and be a good samartian and advise them.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2011
    Not sure if this is really an OpenDNS problem, especially as OpenDNS applies their SmartCache which is supposed to avoid such problems.

Could well be that this is a problem with the bank's authoritative DNS hosting service, and the problem also occurs with other DNS services, e.g. Google, but nobody became so much aware for whatever reason, e.g. they simply think it is an intermediate general network issue in South East Asia, not a DNS issue. And I'm pretty sure that one finds related complaints when searching the internet for it. But, as there are always people complaining about anything, I don't treat this as a viable indication for something either...

Ok, opening a ticket was the right way to go. Let's see how things go on.
    • CommentAuthorzelus
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2011 edited
    We're currently looking into why users are having trouble reaching maybank2u.com.my.

Because maybank2u.com.my has been resolving properly on our servers for quite a while, this is likely not an issue on our side, but we'll investigate in any case.
    Thankful People: rotblitz, nvidia20082008
  10.  permalink
    If it is okay to repost here's the support response I am got from OpenDNS official support:

"Hi,

This is due to the authoritative DNS server sending back a response at times that indicates the domain www.maybank2u.com.my does not exist. We are attempting to contact the authoritative DNS provider to resolve this issue."
    Thankful People: rotblitz, maintenance
  11.  permalink
    Thanks for the update. Sure, it's OK to post - you are certainly on-topic.

This is likely why SmartCache didn't help: the resolver got a valid (but negative) response from the authoritative nameserver.
  12.  permalink
    hi all, i am curious about the problem and i have tested with other DNS server like google, local dns it works for www.maybank2u.com.my. however, i tried with opendns server ip address, it seems like i am not able to get correct IP address return which is 202.162.17.68....why??

when i use opendns ip address, i will get ip address 67.215.77.132 and i wait about 1 min passed, i do the nslookup query again, i will get the correct ip again which is 202.162.17.68.....why??
    please share about your findings as i am learning :D :D.
    thanks thanks
  13.  permalink
    "why??"

Answer is above - the authoritative nameservers for the domain report that the domain does not exist sometimes. Other DNS servers may be holding the previous good record longer than they should (ignoring the time-to-live, which is wrong), or you just happen to be lucky to get a still-valid cached record from the other servers.

"when i use opendns ip address, i will get ip address 67.215.77.132 and i wait about 1 min passed, i do the nslookup query again, i will get the correct ip again which is 202.162.17.68.....why??"

Because the domain isn't resolving, so you get the Guide page address, then it is resolving properly, and you get the site address.

The problem is with the sites authoritative nameservers, and OpenDNS can't do anything about this other than to notify the responsible parties.

You can add an entry to your hosts file to work around this until it is fix properly. See http://forums.opendns.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=10935&page=1#Item_12
    • CommentAuthorzorro31
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2011
    I had trouble with maybank2u.com.my as well. One thing I did was to delete all cookies related to the site, close all browsers, and then access the site from a new browser window. It works but I have to delete cookies / close all windows every time.
    • CommentAuthorRed Prince
    Since the problem was explained above and has nothing to do with cookies, deleting them is completely pointless.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    Not necessarily, it could be an additional problem with this site...
    • CommentAuthorRed Prince
    The bigger question is, why would anyone want to bank with a company that cannot even handle its web site? If they can’t do what many kids can do, how much confidence does it inspire in their ability to manage their clients’ money? :shocked:
    • CommentAuthorzorro31
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2011
    Because it doesn't live online, just like how many businesses still do not live online. It says nothing about the business except that it's not technologically savvy. It isn't the best bank in the world, but there are more important things we'd expect from a bank besides a pretty website. It's frustrating for the users, but hey, if anything is that frustrating, we can go to the branch.

And the problem I had, which was very similar to the problem the main poster has, was completely an issue with cookies. Stop being a smartass.
  14.  permalink
    I don't think the point was that a website be pretty, but that it function at all in order to serve its customers. Security and availability are key for banking, and some consumers will point out things like this when there are issues with things like business models, execution, and service.

Things sometimes drift off to the side of the original topic in the forum, just as they sometimes enter the forum entirely unrelated to OpenDNS. Forgive us.
    Thankful People: Red Prince, nvidia20082008
  15.  permalink
    Red Prince said: "The bigger question is, why would anyone want to bank with a company that cannot even handle its web site? If they can’t do what many kids can do, how much confidence does it inspire in their ability to manage their clients’ money? "

All I can say is welcome to Malaysia. I hope to shed some light on the context of this issue:

Let's look at www.maybank2u.com.my. This is the primary website of Malaysia's largest bank. Maybank is one of the top 5 brands in Malaysia as recently scored by Brand Finance. www.maybank2u.com.my is one of the top websites accessed in Malaysia and responsible for a huge chunk of online transactions in the country.

Suffice to say if this banking institution physically disappeared tomorrow the country's economy would literally collapse.

Sadly, from this DNS issue it looks like for some reason the problem (as investigated by OpenDNS as I have posted above) seems to be on the Malaysian side. Either the problem is with Maybank themselves or this company called Jaring which "operates"? the name servers. Let's just say Jaring is another semi-government (it's almost impossible to tell in this country) entity that's nowhere near top-notch.

So, in conclusion, this issue has exposed one of the many problems faced in Malaysia, a developing country that has come far in some ways, but slid in others. Some of the more tech-savvy users have switched to OpenDNS and hence are getting errors accessing the website. For some reason which you all may know better, most people, who use their local ISP DNS servers, are not experiencing issues. Google has a strong mindshare in Malaysia and hence some are using GoogleDNS. They are mostly not having issues. In fact Maybank has suggested to use Google DNS on their Facebook page as a solution to the website not "working". Google is also brilliant, 8 is considered a very favourable number in Asia, even in many cases to non-ethnic Chinese 8.8.8.8 is very attractive as a DNS server to enter into your computer.

Hope this clarifies the issue a bit more from at least, what I can share. I hope it gives OpenDNS and its users insight into operating in different countries.
  16.  permalink
    zorro31 said: "Because it doesn't live online, just like how many businesses still do not live online. It says nothing about the business except that it's not technologically savvy. It isn't the best bank in the world, but there are more important things we'd expect from a bank besides a pretty website. It's frustrating for the users, but hey, if anything is that frustrating, we can go to the branch."

Unfortunately that's how people take online transactions in Malaysia. It is EXTREMELY frustrating when something as critical as www.maybank2u.com.my doesn't work. But CIMB is the other major bank in this country and also one of the Top 5 brands and www.cimbclicks.com.my is the next most visited banking website outside of Maybank2U.

Malaysians have grown accustomed to websites not working and so seek alternatives eg. using CIMBClicks (most people have accounts with different banks) or doing transactions in person. Cheque deposits, cash deposits, transfers of money within accounts, to 3rd party same-bank accounts and Inter-bank transactions can be done at any Maybank ATM or at the very worse at the bank teller.

Again, couple this with the issue seemingly from OpenDNS users only, hence Maybank and banking in Malaysia continues to "work well enough" despite these website issues.

How can Malaysia's largest bank not be "technologically savvy?"... It's not an issue of technology. It's a matter of whether Maybank and/or Jaring cares about this issue enough... The typical "tidak apa" (local phrase for "not caring") attitude prevails once again.

That said, to the banks' credit (hah, pun unintended), so far there have not been major breaches of security known or reported for online banking with the major banks in Malaysia, over the past several years.

BTW I still have yet to see any suggestion as to why GoogleDNS seems to work better and is encouraged by Maybank itself. What is GoogleDNS doing different from OpenDNS? I'm very curious about this.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.