Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at https://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorjsm555
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2011
    About two hours ago, I disabled OpenDNS to see if a routing problem might be resolved if I used my ISPs DNS. Unfortunately, this didn't change anything, so I reinstated OpenDNS. Now my Network Shortcuts aren't working, and my stats have stopped altogether 2 hours ago. However, the customized "not found" image is still working. I've placed OpenDNS IP in both my router and in my Windows IP4. I'm using a static IP, have tried re-booting but nothing. Any ideas?
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2011
    "to see if a routing problem might be resolved if I used my ISPs DNS."

There are far easier ways to see this without disabling OpenDNS...
    Where did you disable OpenDNS, on the router or on the computer or both?

"Now my Network Shortcuts aren't working..."

You didn't change any settings at your dashboard, did you? Whatever, try with flushing your local resolver cache and your browser cache, maybe with rebooting your router too, to see if shortcuts will be working again.

"and my stats have stopped altogether 2 hours ago."

This is totally normal. Stats are not real-time but appear typically between 3 and 24 hours later. So check again in a few hours.

"I've placed OpenDNS IP in both my router and in my Windows IP4."

This is normally not needed, router alone should be sufficient to cover the whole network, and computer DNS should either be configured to obtain the DNS server addresses automatically via DHCP, or to point to the router.

"I'm using a static IP"

What IP address are you referring to? Your ISP assigned WAN IP address, or your private internal IP address of the computer? The latter is of absolutely no relevance here. Your WAN IP address may still be dynamic then, and you should run an Updater to keep this information updated at OpenDNS for your network .
    • CommentAuthorjsm555
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2011
    Where did you disable OpenDNS, on the router or on the computer or both?
    * Both

This is normally not needed, router alone should be sufficient to cover the whole network

You didn't change any settings at your dashboard, did you?
    * I don't think so, didn't intend to

try with flushing your local resolver cache and your browser cache
    * flushed the resolver cache and browser cache but shortcuts still aren't working

* I had problems with my network shortcuts once before, and someone told me that I had to place OpenDNS IP in the IP4 section of my network settings - I did that and the shortcuts began working, maybe it was just a fluke - anyway, it didn't resolve the problem this time.

Stats are not real-time but appear typically between 3 and 24 hours later. So check again in a few hours.
    * You are correct, stats are indeed working.

What IP address are you referring to?
    * I have a business T1 and my ISP issued me a static IP

Thanks for the help
    s
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2011
    Next step is to see if the OpenDNS Guide is configured as default search engine in your browser. This is almost a prerequisite to make shortcuts work.
    http://guide.opendns.com/?url=(SEARCHTERM)

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.