Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at https://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorirvkole
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2011
    I recently configured OpenDNS on my son's new laptop. All worked as expected. The following day he went to school and I started getting email alerts from OpenDNS regarding attempts to access sites on our Blacklist. However, the alerts provided email addresses of people I don't know. It wasn't until one of the names included my son's school domain did I realize it was related to us at all. When I looked at the IP addresses, it was all from the same address. I assume that since my son was at school, OpenDNS tracked this address and asigned it to our "network". Then all requests from this IP address were somehow associated wiht our Blacklist and access from anyone using OpenDNS at the school was restricted by *our* rules. Hmmm. so what's the fix here? Regards, Irvkole
  1.  permalink
    The fix is that OpenDNS is for *your networks*, not roaming devices. Never run the Updater outside the network you own for public IP addresses which are not yours.

What happened is that you hijacked other networks which use OpenDNS to your content filtering settings - and removed filtering from your home network at the same time.
    Thankful People: rotblitz

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.