Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at https://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthortomdlgns
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2011
    is there a way to see what ideas i have submitted and their current status?
    • CommentAuthortomdlgns
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2011 edited
    i think an awesome addition to openDNS would be the following:

go to a an openDNS page (www.opendns.com/lookups or something similar) and type in a domain, for example, youtube.com and press enter/seach.

the results would then show what sites need to be unblocked/let through the filter for youtube.com to work.

for example, ytimg.com (or something like that) needs to be unblocked for youtube.com to function properly.

this would be very helpful for people who use whitelist only. only allowing youtube.com is not enough.
    • CommentAuthormaintenance
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2011 edited
    You can click on your name to find the last three you submitted/vote on.

You can also
    https://encrypted.google.com/search?q="Posted+by+tomdlgns"+site%3Aideabank.opendns.com%2F
    to see exactly the ideas you submitted.

Or
    https://encrypted.google.com/search?q="tomdlgns"+site%3Aideabank.opendns.com%2F
    for any reference including your name.

Or
    https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=tomdlgns+-"written+by+tomdlgns"+site%3Aideabank.opendns.com%2F
    for any idea you posted or voted on, minus pages where you made comments.

edit: And you'll have to copy/paste, as the search operators break the linkification in this forum.
  1.  permalink
    As to your second comment, at least for popular or "Top" sites, you should be able to unblock the site in one click - not just the domain. With a message noting which domains are included.

If there is are limitations on the backend which preclude this, a KB or Wiki for such domains would be nice - although for the domains and issues already documented in such a manner, it would appear that few bother to look in the KB or search the forum, if the forum questions are any indicator. (Google images, anyone?)
    • CommentAuthortomdlgns
    @ You can click on your name to find the last three you submitted/vote on.

while that is a nice feature, i would like to know the ones i submitted so i can see the status.

@ edit: And you'll have to copy/paste, as the search operators break the linkification in this forum.

thanks, that is nice. too bad it isn't implemented in the dashboard.
    • CommentAuthortomdlgns
    @ As to your second comment, at least for popular or "Top" sites, you should be able to unblock the site in one click - not just the domain. With a message noting which domains are included.

how do you unblock it in one click?

yes, there are probably other ways to find out what the additional domains are, but wouldnt it be much easier/better for OpenDNS to have it built in/pull from a database?

i dont want this to get out of hand and have people say...yes, it would also be nice if OpenDNS could pick the winning lottery numbers, etc... i just assumed this would be a common issue that comes up.

i like to visit www.weather.com, but i dont want to see the ads, etc.. on that page. it would be very handy to type in www.weather.com and have openDNS show something like:

ads.partner.com
    advertisingonline.com
    sidebanners.com

etc...obviously not that specific, but you would be able to see what sites they are pulling ads from and block those.

of course that would be great, but obviously not needed.

thanks.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    "i like to visit www.weather.com, but i dont want to see the ads, etc.. on that page."

Bad idea to block ads with an online service. It increases the traffic volume for ads by factor 4 and significally slows down your surfing experience. Better block ads with local measures.
  2.  permalink
    "how do you unblock it in one click?"

You don't. I was agreeing with your suggestion, but added my own idea to it.

"wouldnt it be much easier/better for OpenDNS to have it built in/pull from a database?"

Easier for us, maybe, but possibly not supported by the combination of the backend server, Vanilla forum software, and existing website code. Seeing as the site is under frequent revisions, the possibility that such a feature might be feasible or within development costs/time available may be somewhat greater.
    Thankful People: tomdlgns
  3.  permalink
    Regarding ads, rotblitz is correct. And you can immediately know and block these things, and more flexibly (not killing content by blocking an entire domain which serves both ads and the desired content) by using local measures. A combination of NoScript and AdBlock Plus on Mozilla browsers works extremely well, and you don't need to visit your Dashboard and flush caches to do it. Other options are available for different browsers, although I'm not terribly impressed with anything for Chromium browsers, and I have no clue what one might use with IE. I don't know what is available for Opera, either, as it has almost no features that I use daily which are available to Mozilla browsers.
    Thankful People: tomdlgns, cindelicato
    • CommentAuthortomdlgns
    sure, blocking ads was maybe a bad example.

i would use this feature more for sites that i whitelist that require other urls to be added to the whitelist in order for the site to function properly.

i do agree with what was said in regards to the limitations of the forum, revisions, and cost/time. however, i still think it would be a great tool to have added.
    • CommentAuthortomdlgns
    @ Bad idea to block ads with an online service. It increases the traffic volume for ads by factor 4 and significally slows down your surfing experience. Better block ads with local measures.

how does it increase traffic volume by 4?

i must be missing something.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    "how does it increase traffic volume by 4?"

The calculation: http://forums.opendns.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=7784
    Thankful People: tomdlgns
  4.  permalink
    "i still think it would be a great tool to have added. "

Well, sure. What user would disagree? Not I, and I don't ever plan on using filtering. It's just a good idea, in one incarnation or another.
    • CommentAuthortomdlgns
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2011
    @ The calculation: http://forums.opendns.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=7784

thanks, that makes sense. i never really thought of it that way.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.