Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at https://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorskitz
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2011
    I'm kinda new to this stuff so I'm just making sure. If my router uses a static ip address and everyone in my home uses it and I applied opendns to my laptop and added the static ip we all use, does it protect only me (since I changed my DNS personally) or does it protect everyone? Thanks in advance :)
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2011
    DNS in general and OpenDNS in particular is related to static or dynamic IP addresses in no way. There is no relationship. Wipe out this part from your question and from your mind.

The machine or network which has a certain DNS service configured, i.e. DNS resolver addresses applied, uses that DNS service, be it your ISP's or OpenDNS's or what else.

"I applied opendns to my laptop"

Then your laptop uses OpenDNS, only your laptop.

"does it protect everyone?"

Think about: if you configured a blue desktop on your laptop, would this have any impact anywhere else in the way to make a blue desktop appear???

Or: If I wash my car, is yours then cleaner too???

"I'm kinda new to this stuff"

If you replace stuff by life, then it sounds reasonable. :wink:
    • CommentAuthorskitz
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2011
    Thanks. Just making sure since I added the IP we all use to the network.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2011 edited
    "I added the IP we all use to the network."

Although you used it anyway? How does one add a used IP address? To what? :confused:
    At least, it sounds dangerous what you did...
    Seems to be pretty unrelated to using OpenDNS.
  1.  permalink
    "I added the IP we all use to the network."

Parsed this way?

<I added the public IP of my network (which happens to be static) to the Dashboard to create a Network.>
    • CommentAuthorskitz
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2011
    lol In "add a network" I added the IP. After I started using OPENDNS my internet has gotten way slower though, and loading pages take a while. anyone know how to fix this?
  2.  permalink
    What is your general location?

What is the output of this command:
    nslookup -type=txt which.opendns.com.
    ?

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.