Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at https://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorsteelkbu
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2012
    When I follow the instructions and enter the OpenDNS IP addresses in my router, my cable service is corrupted. I then have to call Verizon to reset my cable boxes. Has anyone else had this issue and how do I fix it?
  1.  permalink
    Yes, you don't change setting where this is contraindicated, like when you get VOIP and IPTV through the same gateway as internet.

You can place a configurable router behind the gateway, or configure computers manually.
    Thankful People: rotblitz
    • CommentAuthorsteelkbu
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2012
    So you are saying it would be best if I set up my own router for internet?
  2.  permalink
    Generally, yes, unless it is an inconvenience. Just put a router which accepts DNS configuration (and any other features or configurability you want) between your gateway and the computers. How-to documentation may be in the user guides, at vendor sites, or on the web. There are also examples in this forum.

If you or someone you know has an old router laying around, it will do as long as it is configurable. (The more "modern" and "user friendly" "zero config" routers are generally less configurable.) Some can be flashed with alternative firmware which lets you do all sorts of commercial-grade configuration. (DDWRT, Tomato, etc.)

If it's not worth the bother/cost, just configure each device/computer to use the OpenDNS addresses, manually or via DHCP on the LAN side of the gateway (if available). Note that this does break local name resolution (printers, file shares), but you can add network names to VPN Exceptions at your Dashboard if necessary.
    Thankful People: steelkbu
    • CommentAuthorsteelkbu
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2012
    Awesome. I definitely can get my hands on a DDWRT router. Thank you for the advice!

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.