Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at https://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
  1.  permalink
    being able to restrict web use to certain times for certain mac addresses
    i have a cheap yet reliable modem/router which allows me to do this with manual entries on the router
    surely this is something which could be implemented without too much back end engineering?
  2.  permalink
    =i have a cheap yet reliable modem/router which allows me to do this with manual entries on the router=

pardon me, but the question that comes immediately to my mind is "So what's the point?"

OpenDNS works with certain NetGear routers to provide Live Parental Controls, which are not unlike what you describe, and many routers also act in the manner you describe.

If these tools are alerady in place, what remains as your question?
    Thankful People: rotblitz
    • CommentAuthorrabbid
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2012
    AMEN!! I would like to be able to configure things so that my settings automatically changed after 10:30. SOmetimes i want to go to bed before my kids without worrying that what they are allowed to use until bedtime is not used AFTER that.
  3.  permalink
    Then do so. But if you want an entirely remote service to handle this for you, then you are barking up the wrong tree. There are lots of requests for such tools - you are hardly alone. They are perennial favourites of the forum and the Idea Bank.

All sorts of routers allow for time-based restrictions, and the Netgear LPC offering will do exactly that with OpenDNS filtering. Because OpenDNS cannot possibly kick users off an existing connection and flush all caches for you (I'm sure somebody would, if you gave them remote administrative control over all the devices in your network), nor is it likely that it is economically feasible to provide that much more processor time and storage space to such a venture - although there may be incentive in the future as people delegate their privacy and security to various entities as "cloud services" become the normal thing again, until it becomes the old thing again.

This is why all sorts of things people request OpenDNS to do are not done: because they deal with properties of your local network and machines - your LAN. And OpenDNS is almost peculiarly non-invasive, a bit by nature and a bit by the apparent corporate philosophy. But they partnered with some router vendors, and Netgear produced firmware for some of its routers which works with software you can use for this sort of task and others parents look for. And no updater - it's built in.

If you have a Netgear router, you may be able to use LPC already.
    http://countries.netgear.com/lpc
    See the FAQ for the list of supported routers.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.