Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at https://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthortrow
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2012
    i'm confused by the cash clearing instructions on my imac v. 10.4.11. When i open applications/utilities/network i get a screen that says Terminal-bash-80x24. The opendns instruction say to execute the command lookupd-flushcache in Terminal.

How?
    • CommentAuthorzelus
    After opening the Terminal application, type ' lookupd -flushcache ' without quotes and then press enter. Note the space between the 'lookupd' and '-flushcache' arguments.

Alternatively, just restart your computer.
    • CommentAuthortrow
    I didn't type the command because i still don't understand where i put it and how i run it. When does it run, once? Always?

It is probably easier to just restart, but once again, when or how often.

Do i only clear the cache once, or how often and when.
    • CommentAuthorzelus
    When you open the Terminal window you just need to start typing. The command you are putting in just flushes your computer's DNS cache once.

Clearing your DNS cache should be done after changing your DNS resolver settings, either in your router or computer. If you're just switching to OpenDNS from another DNS resolver and never plan on changing your DNS settings again then you will only ever need to do this once. Again, just restarting your computer will flush your DNS resolver caches.
    Thankful People: trow
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    "When does it run, once? Always?"

When you enter 'lookupd   -flushcache' and press <Enter> in the terminal window, then it runs once at this time.

"Do i only clear the cache once, or how often and when."

You flush the local resolver cache and also your browser cache after each settings change at your OpenDNS dashboard. Else these settings changes appear delayed, much delayed possibly. If you don't care, you don't need to flush your caches.
    Thankful People: zelus
    • CommentAuthortrow
    Thank you. What is the local resolver cache? Does that also get cleared with a reboot?
    • CommentAuthorzelus
    Your local resolver cache is your DNS resolver cache - they're the same thing.

Your DNS resolver cache is flushed (cleared) on reboot.
    • CommentAuthortrow
    Thank you. I typed the command and pressed enter in Network. The screen just went to the next line. God only knows what if anything really happened. I restarted my computer. I'm going to take it on faith that this opendsn is properly installed.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2012 edited
    "God only knows what if anything really happened."

Apple knows as well. They constructed this machine and its operating system.
    And I know as well: you flushed your local resolver cache (= DNS resolver cache).

"I'm going to take it on faith that this opendsn is properly installed."

It's called OpenDNS, not dsn. And it's not installed, just configured. It is not software.
    You don't need to take it on faith, you can even check it: http://welcome.opendns.com/
    • CommentAuthortrow
    Thank you both for your help. Sorry for my sloppy spelling. I understand that it is a configuration change and not a new software installation. Sloppy spelling, sloppy language. This is all new to me. Thanks again. I'm going to play tennis...

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.