Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at https://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthortobitila
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2012
    i would like to block out all movies rated r ...is that possible
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2012
    With OpenDNS you can block domains (DNS = domain name system), not specific types of objects. Your router may be able to support this.
    • CommentAuthormaintenance
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2012 edited
    Can any system "block out all movies rated r"? I don't think so.
    Thankful People: rotblitz
    • CommentAuthortobitila
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2012
    thank you .... i am wondering how my teenager gets movies on his ipod.....
  1.  permalink
    Having an internet connection, one can get movies from all sorts of places. Even not connected to the internet, one could copy movies from another computer or device...

You could block, say, the Movies category using OpenDNS, but if you do not have administrative control of the ipod, the teen can choose a different DNS service (like your ISP's), use proxies, leave your network for another, etc. These devices are not made to be controlled, much less so than desktop/laptop computers with even home versions of operating systems.

Now, having a router on which you can set firewall rules will allow one to force anyone inside your network to the DNS server of your choice, but that won't stop anyone from doing what the want outside your network. I suggest people start looking for parental controls applications for the roaming devices they allow their children to own if they hope to control usage. For Apple products, the Apple App Store would be the place to look.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.