Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at https://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthortomdlgns
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2012
    i recall this happening on another network i manage, but i dont remember what i changed to fix the issue.

i use softperfect network scanner on all the networks i manage and on this particular network i see the host name of the ISP cable connection and not the host name of the computer.

what is the best way to get the host name of the computer to show up vs the ISP host name? my other cable network (same ISP with the same equipment [linksys router] doesnt do this, it shows the PC host name).

thanks.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    What does and where does "it" show the hostname of the ISP? Do you mean a DNS suffix? "Hostname of the ISP" is not something I know. Did you solve it by entering a single dot earlier?
    • CommentAuthortomdlgns
    single dot?

the program i use has a host name box. rather than seeing the name of the PC (which i do at all of my other networks) i see the host name of the ISP, i suppose that can be considered DNS suffix.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    Weird. Best is to post an image of what you see, so that we can see as well.
    • CommentAuthortomdlgns
    i see...

192.168.1.200- Dell-PC

cable connection at another location i see

192.168.1.200- townname.state.comcastHSI.net (instead of Dell-PC)
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    What kind of program does this show? What hostname is shown if you do a
    nslookup 192.168.1.200
    • CommentAuthortomdlgns
    what kind of program does what show?

C:\>nslookup 192.168.1.147
    1.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa
    primary name server = localhost
    responsible mail addr = nobody.invalid
    serial = 1
    refresh = 600 (10 mins)
    retry = 1200 (20 mins)
    expire = 604800 (7 days)
    default TTL = 10800 (3 hours)
    Server: UnKnown
    Address: 192.168.1.1

147.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa
    primary name server = localhost
    responsible mail addr = nobody.invalid
    serial = 1
    refresh = 600 (10 mins)
    retry = 1200 (20 mins)
    expire = 604800 (7 days)
    default TTL = 10800 (3 hours)
    *** No internal type for both IPv4 and IPv6 Addresses (A+AAAA) records available
    for 192.168.1.147

this pc was not the 200 pc, it had a diff address.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    "this pc was not the 200 pc, it had a diff address."

Sure. This computer didn't register itself for internal name resolution, or no internal DNS server is running. Then this reverse lookup is of no use anyway. I thought this was a more corporate kind of network, but apparently isn't.

Are there any negative side effects experienced related to your observation, or is it just the interest to know why it is how it is?
    • CommentAuthortomdlgns
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2012
    i want to know why on two separate networks, both cable, both the same ISP, and both using openDNS at the router level are giving me different results when running the network program softscan perfect scan.

opendns works fine. it blocks pages, i confirmed that i am using openDNS, etc...

everything is fine...updates as it should.

i dont understand why with identical settings one network shows the PC name for the host name (in the network scan program) and the other network shows the PC name (which is what i want).

and to give more info...i am testing with the same laptop (i took my laptop with the scanner software to each network and ran the test, so i know it isnt a setting configuration int he program.

thanks.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2012 edited
    Ah, now I understand better with the information not provided earlier.
    Well, this seems to be related to OpenDNS in no way. You had to refer to the provider of that software then. They should know why their program shows what it shows.
    Is it this? http://www.softperfect.com/products/networkscanner/
    • CommentAuthormaintenance
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2012 edited
    I would imagine that under certain conditions, the software takes a network name according to the router rather than according to Windows, e.g., in cases where the computer really is not part of a Windows network or something.

Does the application keep a log (or otherwise offer verbose output) as well as produce the standard output? If so, you may be able to see what it is polling and in what order when checking for the machine name.

It could be dependent on any number of configuration items which are different between the different machines/networks (say, the server service is or is not running)or OS versions. Windows does networking quite differently across the last three versions.

See also the change log, and search the word "host" to see the improvements and methods added for host name detection. I'm certain it is not perfect yet, as such things never really are. All IT works on the "good enough" principal, for varying values of "good enough".

http://www.softperfect.com/support/
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    I have checked that tool, and it is rather poor. I prefer this: http://www.angryip.org/
  1.  permalink
    That is a good one, but I miss the zebra.:smile:
    • CommentAuthortomdlgns
    @ rotblitz, i have used angry ip and it is comes up as a threat on some networks, so i stisk with softperfect.

when i change out openDNS servers from my router, i see the regular host names as i do on other networks.

thanks.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.