Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at https://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorIan
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2012 edited
    I would like some advice from other administrators and even from OpenDNS on how to manage the ever increasing flow of domains being hit via application on mobile devices.

Given that some of them are domain for ads within apps, my main concern is that most of them are not tagged by OpenDNS and can fall though the crack in filters.

Since its past 30days this is my only way to comment.
    Yeah I am well aware of how OpenDNS works.
    I should have specified that I am talking about when the phones are on WiFi at home.

Its just a cray amount of CDN's
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2012
    As long as the mobile devices are using networks you own and control, you can manage this by your OpenDNS settings. OpenDNS is a service for networks you own, not for your roaming devices in other networks.

There may be apps for certain devices which allow access restrictions based on domain name, URL or keyword or whatever. The most easiest thing however is to maintain the hosts file on those devices to block certain domains. You often have to jailbreak those devices (especially Apple ones) to get access to the hosts file.
    Thankful People: Ian, zelus

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.