Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at https://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorssomeone1
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2012
    Can you, please, explain me what do these items from my stats mean?
    Some rows contain word ssg-140 at the end. I recognize that it is name of my firewall, why do not then all items have it in their name?
    For example:

1. (web sites)
    www.my.ishop.rs.ssg-140
    www.svet.rs.ssg-140
    www.vesti.rs.ssg-140

2. (computer names)
    dell1.ssg-140
    dell3.ssg-140
    dell6.ssg-140
    server.ssg-140

3. (I don't know what is this)
    fyplyvclvn.ssg-140
    mgkrekyenk.ssg-140
    puywjwttnd.ssg-140
    pyqhyvnqun.ssg-140
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    It seems some of your networking applications append this DNS suffix to DNS lookups. You may want to add ssg-140 to your VPN exceptions under Advanced settings at your dashboard.

Alternatively get rid of this DNS suffix.
    • CommentAuthorssomeone1
    I did as you said, but as far as I know I don't use VPN.
    Anyway, thanks for your help.
  1.  permalink
    Doesn't matter if you use a VPN, that's just the name (original intent) of the setting where you add exceptions.

Section 3: This looks like (Google) Chrome's behavior (normal).
    Thankful People: ssomeone1
    • CommentAuthorssomeone1
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2012
    And why are computer's names in the list?
    Does that mean that the computer that is on top of the list uses the most of network resources?
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2012
    "And why are computer's names in the list?"

Because your computers send out these internal name resolution requests to OpenDNS. How else?

This especially happens if you have the OpenDNS server addresses configured on the LAN side of the router or DHCP side of a server or directly on the computers. It should not happen if you have configured the OpenDNS addresses on the WAN side of the router or as forwarders only on your DNS server.

"Does that mean that the computer that is on top of the list uses the most of network resources? "

No. Firstly, this is not much to do with "network resources". Secondly, it means that the computer on top of the list is most looked up, by itself or by other devices. The stats show *what* is looked up, not who or what has looked up.
    Thankful People: ssomeone1

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.