Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at https://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorwamatthew
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2012
    Did a bit of browsing in the forums as well as some searches and I haven't seen anything similar, so here goes:

For technical reasons I need to have users behind an internal DNS server of our own (set up with recursion and forwarding to OpenDNS servers). The IP of this server is registered to an OpenDNS account which has ads and NX disabled and custom web filtering rules set.

When a user that is configured to use this internal DNS server tries to browse to a site that should be blocked, it works correctly. However, ads are shown on the block page (incorrect behaviour).

If that user is set to point to OpenDNS directly and the IP is changed in the dashboard, then the ads aren't shown (correct behaviour).

I am currently in contact with OpenDNS support to get this resolved, however due to our location time differences, things are moving a little slowly. Has anyone had the same or a similar issue before?

Thanks in advance.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2012
    And you are sure OpenDNS sees the same public "DNS" source IP address and "web" source IP address, no matter if a user goes through your DNS server or more directly to OpenDNS?

Switching off ads in Customization (as Customization in general) is associated with your "web" IP address, whereas DNS functionality like filtering and stats is associated with your "DNS" IP address.

Your "web" IP address: http://myip.dnsomatic.com/
    Your "DNS" IP address: nslookup myip.opendns.com.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.