Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at https://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorxsam
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2012 edited
    It seems that the Google accounts sign in page (accounts.google.com) was approved for "Social Networking" - really? I can see plus.google.com being blocked for Social Networking, but locking out every single Google service, including Gmail, YouTube and other subsidiaries is unnecessary. This needs to be corrected.
    • CommentAuthorcolctr
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2012
    Currently can't access gmail through a browser - getting a security warning:
    "You cannot proceed because the website operator has requested heightened security for this domain".
    Thankful People:
    • CommentAuthorbrds
    Confirmed. I was unable to login to gmail as of June 26, 2012. It was blocked as file sharing, social networking.
    I had to add acccounts.google.com to my white list ("Never block") to allow gmail access.
  1.  permalink
    Same here. I had to "Allow" accounts.google.com. I've always been able to get to Google Mail in the past. I don't have "web mail" blocked either, never have. Luckily, we can put it in never block.
    • CommentAuthorendatio
    This has brought the whole companies email to a grinding halt. Wow, thank you opendns, very well thought through. We are definitely going to be migrating all our clients to another service.
    • CommentAuthorcvlsupport
    same as what happened to @thenewnumber2
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    Guys, you forget one thing: it is not OpenDNS blocking anything, but solely *your* dashboard settings determining what you want to have blocked. The simple solution: don't block what you don't want to have blocked. So easy! :cool:

Now you could say, ok, I don't have immediate direct influence on categorization of domains, because domain tagging is a community effort. But it should have been obvious to you that if you went for category filtering that things may change at any time, new tags are approved, old wrong ones may disappear. So, in fact, you accepted that risk, else you would have decided otherwise, so now bear with it instead of complaining!

"We are definitely going to be migrating all our clients to another service."

Btw, exactly this problem is not only with OpenDNS, but generally with any other content filtering appliance or strategy, unless you totally go for your own individual categorization and decisions.
    Thankful People: ipoint.corp
    • CommentAuthorxsam
    rotblitz - This is a valid complaint. This is a major domain, and it has been incorrectly categorized. Would you say the same thing if the Google frontpage (google.com) was categorized incorrectly tagged as "Nudity?"
    • CommentAuthortecmanbr
    The server Accounts.google.com uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is valid only for these names:
    *. opendns.com, opendns.com

(Error code: ssl_error_bad_cert_domain)

Having problems to acess google today...
    • CommentAuthorstevewm
    accounts.google.com definitely needs to be removed from any categories. This brought our entire company to a halt this morning as nearly all of our users use Google Apps.

It is a generic domain used for logging into all of Google's properties. It definitely should not be placed in ANY category.

Just for example, with this blocked, my users noticed the following services did not work this morning: Google Docs, Analytics, Adwords, Gmail, Calendar, Wallet, etc.. just to name a few. Basically nothing from Google worked.
  2.  permalink
    Yup, happened to my users this morning as well. Classified under social networking. Had to whitelist the domain.

This was one single moderator who affected likely a lot of OpenDNS customers. There probably should be certain domains that are locked from being edited at all...this being one of them.
    • CommentAuthormwiener
    This should have been corrected in minutes
    • CommentAuthoripoint.corp
    Put accounts.google.com in your always allowed (NEVER BLOCK) List if you need to access and that's it, why so much complain?

You can also Flag the domain for review for further action...
    Thankful People: rotblitz, tecmanbr
  3.  permalink
    Same problem here... we need a solution.
    • CommentAuthorstevewm
    @ipoint.corp People are complaining so much because it should not have been categorized as it was, especially when it breaks such a widely used service.

There are several utility domains used by the various Google properties and by other websites as well. You cannot seriously expect admins to white-list every one of these.

Just another example: ajax.googleapis.com If that domain was to get tagged incorrectly, it would break THOUSANDS of websites.
    • CommentAuthormbofac
    I added accounts.google.com to my never block list. Still unable to get to in. Showing that the administrator has blocked access to accounts.google.com.

OpenDNS, we need this fixed!
    Thankful People: fsradmin
    • CommentAuthoroksnj
    I have whitelisted and gotten things to work, but this should never have happened. Looking forward to the explanation.
    • CommentAuthormcbastos
    This really was a badly thought out decision.
    • CommentAuthoroksnj
    And don't forget to flag the site for review if you disagree with the Social Networking tag.
    • CommentAuthorhapcap
    Just got hit with this "bug" at my workplace. Our email is hosted by Google- not cool! Lots of unhappy users!
  4.  permalink
    I'm not sure what's going on. I turned off blocking on the entire IP and it still is blocking domains. We use Google services for our company. This is not good service.
    • CommentAuthorsturge
    I have a lot of clients with problems to join to Google Apps. Please, repair that.
    • CommentAuthorsquid_ward
    Recently I've noticed that mozilla add-on "Ghostery" has begun blocking google+ when I go to google domains. I suspect Google is pushing a third party cookie from google+ and that is what is causing OpenDNS to block the page.
    Thankful People: fsradmin
    • CommentAuthorbwwadmin
    This definitely needs to be given a second look as we are only allowed a small number of overrides so simply white-listing is a band-aid NOT a solution.
    Thankful People: fsradmin, hapcap
    • CommentAuthorfsradmin
    This is a huge issue for anyone using OpenDNS and Google Apps. I suspect that a LOT of users are frustrated at this point.

OpenDNS, please post some kind of statement. Even if it's "we're aware of the situation and are working on it." Silence is NOT your friend in this case.

Thanks for an excellent service. Bumps in the road always occur.
    • CommentAuthorceimg
    This type of issue has happened a few times for us in the past year while using OpenDNS. We are dropping OpenDNS for now, as the benefits do not outweigh the hassle of having all my users unable to access their Google Apps accounts.
  5.  permalink
    Who is the mental midget that came up with this idea? Do they realize they have blocked some of the most essential internet marketing tools on the Internet? You cannot access Google Analytics, Google Adwords, Google Webmaster Tools, and more! I wonder if Opendns could stay in business if Google black listed their site!
    • CommentAuthorsforbus
    This happened because someone marked accounts.google.com as social networking, probably due to Google+; however, it was very frustrating that since we use Google Apps this also blocked access to many other things other than just social networking. For those of you who say it is our dashboard settings, well, yesterday, our dashboard settings were fine. Today they are not.

I have whitelisted accounts.google.com to fix the problem, but this should never have been allowed to happen in the first place or should have been fixed immediately. Unintended consequences are far more severe than the positive benefits of blocking google plus.

As an aside update, I have informed my boss (Director of IT) of my severe displeasure in this matter and have informed her that we should cancel OpenDNS unless we receive assurances that such a thing will not be allowed to occur in the future.
    Thankful People: the-engineer
    • CommentAuthoroksnj
    I have opened a support ticket to get an official response, but here is what I can determine happened.

Someone suggested that accounts.google.com be listed as a social networking site. People voted yes. Someone approved it. As of the approval, if you block social networking sites, you lost access to log in to ANY google service.

OpenDNS is crowdsourced filtering. I doubt they will overrule a vote. The only recourse we have as customers is to flag accounts.google.com for review, and explain why it was a bad idea. No amount of complaining or posting here will make a change. It may make us feel good, but we need to respect the process. If we all flag accounts.google.com for review and explain that it is the gateway to all of google's services, not just the social networking ones, then maybe we can get things reversed.

Unfortunately, it is things like this that cause us to lose faith in a great service. But it is fixable, and we just need to do the work to fix the problem.
    Thankful People: rotblitz
    • CommentAuthoroksnj
    I just checked the accounts.google.com domain for filters, and the filters that caused the problems were removed completely. Here is what I received from support.
    Thank you OpenDNS for taking care of things.

We have located a domain which many Google services use for authentication that was recently tagged as File Storage and Social Networking in our database. However, we've since removed those tags, so these services should be accessible on your network now. Please clear your local web browser and DNS resolver caches using the instructions found here: http://www.opendns.com/support/article/22.

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused, and we thank you for your patience.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentAuthorzelus
    We removed the erroneous tags applied to the subdomain accounts.google.com at approximately 08:50 PDT this morning; if you continue to see issues in reaching Google services while using OpenDNS then please flush your web browser caches.
    http://www.opendns.com/support/article/67

If you continue to see issues after cache flushing then please open a support ticket with our support team, here: https://dashboard.opendns.com/support/
    Thankful People: ipoint.corp, oksnj
  6.  permalink
    Many Kudos to OpenDNS for prompt attention to this manner. This is exactly why I chose and choose to stay with OpenDNS for my content filteri
    Thankful People: Daniel Gifford, maintenance
  7.  permalink
    Attention is even more prompt if opening support tickets rather than posting in the forum. Many kudos to those who did so.
    Thankful People: ipoint.corp, oksnj

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.