Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at https://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
  1.  permalink
    Can we block our children from opening a site that contains a certain word. Sorry for being explicit.... for insance, if a child searches the word boob, of course all sorts of inappropriate sites come up. Is there a way that all these sites get blocked that would contain the word boob? (This was the cleanest example I could come up with!)
  2.  permalink
    No, as covered in the post to which you said that you "would like this too", this is not at all possible. You would want a keyword filtering service or similar. (Some routers actually have this capability.)

OpenDNS is DNS-based, and can only block domain names. (e.g., www.opendns.com, google.com, all-geo.org)
    Thankful People: Red Prince, zelus, rosch
    • CommentAuthorbigbrad
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2012
    Yor router should have an option for keywood blocking; however my experience with a netgear WNR 854T, my bandwidth slowed to a crawl. Current Netgear router works fast like it should. Test your speed, add keywords in your router, check speed again. If speed is close, you got it, if not may consider new router.
  3.  permalink
    All you can do is "train them up" and let them go. Personally I look over the domains in my OpenDNS stats. If I see unexplained reoccurances of "bad" sites, I'll ask my kids why.

You can buy commercial software proxys that block on content. If kids are determined to find trash, they will. Google is their best tool to get around what mom and dad feels is appropriate content.
    • CommentAuthorbirkita
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2012
    Without preference K9 or kidswatch both have good reputations for filtering. When it comes down to it though it is all about training, trust and supervision.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.