Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at https://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorbigbrad
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2012
    Use MSN.com as homepage; however checking my stats, over 700 requests from these ad servers.
    "a.ads2.msads.net ad.adnetwork.net ad.adtegrity.net
    ad.yieldmanager.com addirector.vindicosuite.com ads.cleveland.com ads.lfstmedia.com ads.nj.com ads.pubmatic.com ads1.msads.net
    ads2.msads.net ads2.msn.com b.ads1.msads.net"
    So I black listed them, and homepage comes in instantly.
    Just check your OpenDNS stats to create your own blacklist.
    • CommentAuthorzelus
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2012
    As a note to those reading this thread, blocking ad servers and ad providers at the DNS level may actually negatively impact web page usability as many web pages rely on the resources that these ad servers/providers supply and blocking them may result in web pages only partially loading or not loading at all.

Please manage your Always Block list with this in mind if you ever add ad providers and servers to it.
    Thankful People: phineasjwhoopee
  1.  permalink
    Brad, Google "MVPS, Hosts file" Check that out. And "Zelus" is correct. I have ads blocked with OPENDNS and with the Hosts file and sometimes, pages don't work. Especially videos that have some embedded Ad's before. They just don't run so I either have to forget watching it or let my defenses blocking Ad's down. Sometimes I do that on purpose. One page, the website owner had a Message for those Blocking ADs. Asking to please allow ads so his income source wasn't blocked. Hey, he asked nicely So I did. There's a whole debate about Ad's online, tracking and privacy. I still think it should be up to the PC owner of course. But as Zelus says, Blocking at the DNS level Will effect some surfing habits. MSN's Home page is loaded with them as I see on my Hosts file.
  2.  permalink
    Not only that, but you don't eliminate part of the traffic ads cause, and even increase it a bit. Better to block locally via the hosts file, or with something more flexible like an ad blocker (script blockers will also eliminate some). This way, no lookup for the ad domain is sent at all, and no block page returned (which it is, whether you see it rendered in the ad space or not).
    Thankful People: phineasjwhoopee
    • CommentAuthorbigbrad
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2012
    Thanks for the tips, I have noticed some problems on a few select sites, but has not impacted my shopping or general browsing. I just cannot understand why some of these ads have so many requests. We strive to learn.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.