Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at https://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
  1.  permalink
    Hey Guys, I set all the settings in my router (Linksys E3000) up as follows:
    DNS1: 208.67.222.222
    DNS2: 208.67.220.220
    DNS3: 208.67.220.222

I save settings, reboot the PC, and I'm getting these following IPs under ipconfig /all:
    DNS: 216.165.129.158
    DNS: 216.170.153.146

I was like, humm, let me check my router settings again. Double checked, on the newest firmware (Ver.1.0.04 (build 6) ), and everything is setup correctly. On the computer side, done a /release, /renew, /flushdns, still the same. I then thought it was a PC issue. So I pull out my iPhone (and iPad), and both of these are showing the same two DNS servers.

Obviously, If I manually set DNS in windows, it works fine. Any clue what, or why this router wont save the DNS settings?
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2012
    How could we OpenDNS users know. Best is to consult Linksys/Cisco support. Or thoroughly read the manual to see if something is mentioned.
    Thankful People: phineasjwhoopee
  2.  permalink
    I'm sure there is a good explanation and the Mods will have it. BUT I listen to GRC.com's Security Now. They discussed a Recent Cisco mess in Episode #360 Listener Feedback #147. I was appalled by what Cisco did after hearing that Podcast. They did some kind of Firmware upgrade in secret to their high end Routers EA3500 and the EA4500. I'm not sure but maybe others were involved maybe the E3000? I'm Sure Linksys people out there know about this PR disaster and can correct me if so. It has to do with rerouting the Admin of your own Router to a public Linksys cloud where you had to have an Account just to get in. THIS Cloud is used to sync up other devices with your router too, that's how Cisco was selling the idea. Would THIS be why there's a different DNS than the OPENDNS? I wonder? There is more on the Linksys Forums about this. Here's the Podcast link that also has TEXT version of the Show you can read in the browser by clicking them. http://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm
  3.  permalink
    I'm guessing your phone and PC have their DNS fields blank... Right? If so, you might try entering your router's IP address (for example, 192.168.1.1) in the DNS field on your PC's network adaptor to see if that changes things.
  4.  permalink
    Maybe the router isn't the DHCP server? Maybe you already have the DHCP server sending these addresses, but you configured the OpenDNS addresses on the WAN/internet side (forwarders), where these addresses will not show in ipconfig /all (in which case you should see the LAN address of the router for DNS server instead).
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2012 edited
    @cervezafria
    "you might try entering your router's IP address (for example, 192.168.1.1) in the DNS field on your PC's network adaptor to see if that changes things."

The DNS server addresses can be configured on the LAN/DHCP side of such Linksys routers only (except if one has a public static IP address), and if configured, these routers stop to work as DNS servers/forwarders, and entering the router's IP address on the end devices doesn't work. The only way around this is to flash such routers with alternative firmware like DD-WRT, OpenWRT, Tomato, ...
    Thankful People: cervezafria

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.