Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at https://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
  1.  permalink
    I live in an apartment and I've realized that OpenDNS stops blocking websites if I don't physically log in and refreash the IP address every other day...this has became a problem when I am out of town because I no longer know what the IP address of the complex is anymore.. Help!

Also, does anyone know if the websites shown for each day are accurate or if they are accumulated over time?
    • CommentAuthorzelus
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2012
    domainhouston,

>>"I've realized that OpenDNS stops blocking websites if I don't physically log in and refreash the IP address every other day"

Sounds like you're on a Dynamic IP connection, meaning your IP address changes whenever your ISP decides it should. Please use an IP Updater Client on a computer on your network: http://www.opendns.com/support/article/87

If you're on a shared network connection, please consult your building manager regarding the registration and use of your connection with our services.

>>"Also, does anyone know if the websites shown for each day are accurate or if they are accumulated over time?"

Stats are very accurate for keeping track of the DNS queries made by your devices (that use OpenDNS) on your registered network(s). You can view Stats on a day-to-day level or up to 2-weeks at a time - so the answer to your question is 'Yes' and 'Both.'
  2.  permalink
    Great, thank you. I will use an IP Updater Client.

As for the stats, so each day all of the websites shown have been accessed? It seemed like to me that they were being acquired and re-shown on another day. But that is not the case? If I put in the date of one single day, the "domain" filter view "everything" are all the domains visited that day? It also seems like the time may be wrong for mine, because I am seeing sites visited on today's date that were visited last night. How does that work? Perhaps I need to adjust the time somewhere?

Also, for the blocked websites is there a way to tell if these are being typed in or if they are coming up as a result of a pop up from another website?

How accurate is the number of requests? Does that number mean the website was attempted to be viewed that many times?

Thanks!
    • CommentAuthorzelus
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2012 edited
    >>"As for the stats, so each day all of the websites shown have been accessed?"

No - DNS Stats only shows the DNS data that was requested of OpenDNS on your registered network. Websites are not domains; websites are hosted on domains, and domains are much larger than just websites. All DNS data shown in Stats can be used to draw accurate assessments of the amount of DNS traffic on your network for a certain period of time.

>>"It seemed like to me that they were being acquired and re-shown on another day. But that is not the case?"

What're your timezone settings set to? Stats are processed in GMT, so that and daylight savings (USA) can cause some discrepancies.

>>"Also, for the blocked websites is there a way to tell if these are being typed in or if they are coming up as a result of a pop up from another website?"

No - OpenDNS cannot differentiate between the two; a DNS request is a DNS request as far as our resolvers are concerned.

>>"How accurate is the number of requests?"

Perfectly accurate; all DNS requests will be recorded in Stats when Stats is enabled and when your network is registered in your account.

>>"Does that number mean the website was attempted to be viewed that many times? "

The numerical readout means that many DNS requests for that domain were made against OpenDNS DNS resolvers. Some loading of website pages cause your browser to make many DNS requests, others don't. Some applications and other operating system processes make DNS requests, others don't.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2012 edited
    "It also seems like the time may be wrong for mine, because I am seeing sites visited on today's date that were visited last night. How does that work? Perhaps I need to adjust the time somewhere?"

Yes, you do this here: https://dashboard.opendns.com/myaccount/timezone

"How accurate is the number of requests? Does that number mean the website was attempted to be viewed that many times?"

Highly accurate, as zelus said. However, some browsers have DNS prefetching enabled, this leading to excessive DNS lookups for every link found on a web page. Just think about search result pages and such...
    You may want to disable DNS prefetching in your browsers, this leading to more useful OpenDNS stats.
    Thankful People: zelus
  3.  permalink
    Don't forget that if local resolver caches are active on machines in your network, you will be served locally for DNS lookups until such time as the TTL for the records expire.

".this has became a problem when I am out of town because I no longer know what the IP address of the complex is anymore.. "

Doesn't matter, as you can only register the IP address you are currently using. Which also leads to this point: As a new user of the Updater, do not run it outside of your own network, e.g., on your traveling laptop.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2012 edited
    And most important and not to forget:

"Why Do I Need to Update the IP address every other day?"

Because your ISP decided to change their customers' IP addresses this way.

"Don't forget that if local resolver caches are active on machines in your network, you will be served locally for DNS lookups until such time as the TTL for the records expire."

One can disable this local DNS cache too, beside DNS prefetching. These two measures would result in the most useful stats. This is how I almost operate.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.