Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at https://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorparamore3
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2012
    Hello,

I have used DNSCrypt pretty much since it came out. I'm loving it so far but having one issue with it that I need some support with.

Each time I turn on the computer UAC asks me to provide the program with administrative privileges. As you can imagine, this becomes annoying over time. I like to have it run from system start, but how can I provide this program with full permissions so it doesn't do this anymore? I have tried the following:

- right click shortcut -> properties -> compatibility -> check "run this program as administrator" -> click change settings for all users -> Check "run this program as an administrator".

I have also attempted: right click shortcut -> properties -> shortcut -> advanced. However it won't let me check "run as administrator" - its faded out.

Any ideas?
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    What version of Windows is this, and what version of dnscrypt-proxy.exe?
    Do you run the Windows GUI, or just the proxy? The latter would be appropriate.
    See http://forums.opendns.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=15145#Item_10
    • CommentAuthorparamore3
    I'm not entirely sure what you mean above, rotblitz.
    But I will answer the questions the best I can.

I have Windows Seven (x64-bit).
    I downloaded the program from the official site: https://www.opendns.com/technology/dnscrypt/ then clicked on "download DNSCrypt for Windows". I have version 0.0.5
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    So uninstall this and follow the link I have provided.
  1.  permalink
    The GUI is the graphic interface. Don't use it. Use the proxy only, which is command line driven (if necessary to make changes) until such time that a new GUI is developed for the current version of the proxy.

See the links at the bottom of page here:
    https://github.com/opendns/dnscrypt-proxy/
    which may also be included in the documentation that came with the download.
    It seems th official Win GUI may be updated to 0.0.6, and there is an un-official version officially hosted in the same place.
    • CommentAuthorpraxisr
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2012
    Hey there paramore3,

So if I was to paraphrase the problem, would it be correct to say: I want DNSCrypt WinClient to run without the UAC prompt annoying me when the user logs on?

Proposed solutions:
    For Windows NT 6.X (Vista and above) you can use the Task Scheduler to set a scheduled event so that DNSCrypt WinClient runs at startup without need for user intervention. This is possible because it will be running as a System process. Furthermore, you have the option to customize the runtime settings, i.e. restarting the program if it crashes, running at specified times - and in this case - every time a user logs on.

Implementation (step-by-step):
    Assuming you have administrative privileges,

1. Open the Control Panel in category view.

2. Click on Schedule Tasks (Under Administrative Tools)

3. Locate Actions and select 'Create Task...'.
    You can press Alt and select Actions in the toolbar, or use the panel provided on the right-hand side of the Task Scheduler menu.

4. Input a Name for the scheduled task, e.g. Run DNSCrypt at Logon

5. Check the box next to "Run with highest privileges" and Configure for Windows 7

6. Click on the Triggers tab and New...

7. Specify the start-up time next to "Begin the task: At log on"

*8. Un-check the box next to "Stop task if it runs longer than:"
    *Optional: I also recommend delaying the start-up by 30 seconds under Advanced settings

9. Click on OK to confirm the new trigger.

10. Click the Actions tab and New...

11. Note the Action is set to Start a Program by default, so you can simply Browse... to %PROGRAMFILES%\OpenDNS\DNSCrypt\ and select DNSCrypt-GUI.exe

*12. Select the Conditions tab, and un-check the checked boxes
    *Optional: The power setting is relevant to portable device users, e.g. laptops and netbooks where it is running on battery rather than an adaptor.

13. Click on the Settings tab and check the boxes next to "Run task as soon as possible after a scheduled start is missed" and un-check the box next to "Stop the task if it runs longer than: 3 days".

14. Click on OK to confirm the creation of the new task.

15. Evaluate the task by right-clicking on the new task and clicking Run. If successful, log-off and log-on again. If you opted to delay running the task, wait for the amount of time specified and confirm that the task has run successfully. if unsuccessful, proceed to step 16. Also, look over the Conditions and Triggers tab settings.

16. Think happy thoughts and if worse comes to worst, play the 10 hour version of the nyancat video and comment on your experience. My comment was: mind blown (350 thumbs up)

Alternatively, you can disable UAC, but an obvious caveat is this will result in one less security mechanism protecting your system. However, if you have a Host Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS), I would be less reluctant in recommending this solution.

If, by some miracle, you managed to read this entire post, go to step 16 and subscribe.

Congratulations, but even though you have survived nyancat, don't talk to strangers wearing rainbows and cat-ears. Strange things...might happen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjedisct1
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2012
    Administrator
    Why not just run it as a Windows service?

See:
    https://github.com/opendns/dnscrypt-proxy/blob/master/README-WINDOWS.markdown
    Thankful People: rotblitz

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.