Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at https://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthormatt38
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2012
    I have two ISPs at home, one through optical fiber that I use for Internet and with a dynamic IP, and a second one through DSL that I use for phone, TV and as a failover for Internet, with a static IP.

My main computer is configured to automatically switch two the secondary ISP when the first is unavailable, and this updates my IP in my Open DNS account.

But some of my equipements are always using the secondary ISP (basically, the equipments on which I cannot setup a complex configuration with two gateway), so they are always using the static IP.

Is there a way to configure an Open DNS network with two IP (one static and one dynamic), or do I need to create a second network (which might also not work correctly when my first ISP is down and the OpenDNS update sends my static IP for the dynamic network...) ?
    • CommentAuthormaintenance
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2012 edited
    Yes, you should create two entirely separate accounts for these networks. There isn't a way to create multiple Networks under one Basic or VIP account any longer.

Further, you shouldn't be able to update one against the other. A static IP needs no updater, and the "allow updates" setting at your Dashboard should be turned off for this.

How failover works in your network is another matter. The updater should only be running when you have switched over to the dynamic IP.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2012 edited
    @matt38
    You may want to open a support ticket to ask if they release your account for two networks as is with all grandfathered accounts.

You need to run an Updater against the network with the dynamic IP address assigned. This can be either on the router or modem this internet connection belongs to, or on a computer (or VM) where you configure a static (persistent) route with a higher priority (lower metric) to the router representing your dynamic IP address.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.