Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at https://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthortony76
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2012
    Before the moderators rip me a new one, I have read the "read me" post, and several others pointing to netgear's product. I don't want to buy another router and I like what this product and want to use it. DD-WRT, tomato or others might be an option but I am lazy.

It has been stated many times that this product does not allow for time phased blocking of sites. Seems straight forward. My question simply stated is this a feature that is planned for a future release? If so when will it be available? If not why?(It seems rather limiting)

The reason I ask is that other products (which I will not mention) similar to this one already have this feature. This is a very cool system and it makes sense to me as a parent that I would want to block certain sites during the week, but not on weekends, or maybe evenings.

-T
    • CommentAuthorbirkita
    If the idea is not already there then I would suggest adding it to the Idea Bank so people can vote on it. My issue with it is that OpenDNS is IP specific and not computer specific so when you limit the site for one child on your network you will limit it for all of them, which may or may not be an issue for you.

I would personally recommend not allowing children to have accounts on their computers with administrator rights and then lock them down with software such as K9 or kidswatch.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    "Seems straight forward."

Nothing is straight forward. The biggest enemies are your caches. Even if the configuration profile switched around in your dashboard at a certain time, it wouldn't take any effects, sometimes not for hours, sometimes even not for days. People would stand up to complain about it wouldn't work. And so forth...

That said, this is a "feature" which will never come up in the foreseeable future. Maybe in a few years no caching will be applied anymore by OSes and browsers, and then the topic may be due to be raised again.

"this product does not allow for time phased blocking of sites."

Yes, you say it. But with another meaning as you originally thought.
  1.  permalink
    I hardly imagine the mods would rip you a new one. They generally have to be more polite, being as they represent the company. :wink:

Really, and not to rip you a new one, it is sometimes amazing what people can imagine is straightforward or easy or cheap - never mind the inherent technical limitations on the user end. Or limitations of the internet, or in this case, DNS.

However, you can buy an enterprise SLA and get some pretty amazing features, for a pretty amazing amount of money. A router would be cheaper. And the Netgear LPC system will give you all sorts of really pretty nifty control, where it belongs, in the local network.

When everyone has dumb terminals/devices and all computing is done on remote time-sharing systems (the new cool word is "cloud"), then you can expect remote services to give you all these sorts of controls. (Until the users you want to control buy their own devices and accounts, then zero control. Fight that future.)

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.