Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at https://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthoraircap
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2012
    When I go to my local library with my laptop it won't connect to their free wifi. When the computer analyzes the reason, it says that open dns is the problem. Why would it prevent me from gaining online access?
    • CommentAuthorbirkita
    The library is probably using their own DNS for the initial contact while it serves you the terms and conditions page. This will usually break if you have manually set the DNS on your laptop to point to OpenDNS.
    Thankful People: cindelicato
  1.  permalink
    OpenDNS is for *your* networks. If it does not work in a network not your own, turn it off. For Windows, you can use something to make it easier, like
    http://www.eusing.com/ipswitch/free_ip_switcher.htm
    Have one set to change only DNS to OpenDNS IPs, and one set where the only change is to obtain DNS automatically. You don't have to worry about any other settings.

Further, I hope you do not run an updater in networks not your own. Turn that off as well, if in use.
    • CommentAuthornardon
    Most likely because public computers often use their own DNS records to point to a special server (for example, to show an intranet environment or login page). Using other DNS servers obviously means that doesn't work, so they block it.
    Thankful People: zelus
  2.  permalink
    Well, in that case, your computer can't even find their gateway/dns server/whatever if they don't redirect.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.