Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at https://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthormlauzon
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2012 edited
    I don't know if this is the right part of the forum for this, if it isn't, can a mod please move it to the correct section.

I just came across SafeDNS yesterday, I posted on their forum, which doesn't seem to be used at all, as the last post before my new [Sept 21] topic on their forum was from August 30th.

I asked them what the difference was between SafeDNS & OpenDNS. So, same question for you.

What is the difference between OpenDNS & SafeDNS?

I am an OpenDNS user, and have been for a few years.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2012 edited
    Never heard about them before. Is this http://www.safedns.co.uk/ ?

"What is the difference between OpenDNS & SafeDNS?"

Everything, because they have nothing in common. OpenDNS is a recursive DNS service, whereas SafeDNS is a DNS hosting service, an authoritative DNS service for your own domains.

And they are far too expensive with their service, you can get a better service elsewhere for 10% of their price...

Edit:
    Ah, it seems to be https://www.safedns.com/ - right? Never heard from them before too.
    There service is still in Beta, all in the very beginning, difficult to say...

Edit2:
    Well, after having looked around a bit, it seems they try to do it similar to OpenDNS. However, everything is in the very beginning, and they are located only in the USA, so not really an option for people outside the USA.

Also not sure if their service will be free. I'm seeing these Visa and Mastercard logos with still nothing behind it...
    •  
      CommentAuthorjedisct1
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2012
    Administrator
    Yes, the latency to their servers from here (France) is terrible. OTOH, OpenDNS has a global presence, and had 100% uptime over the past 6 years.

Looks like they are still in beta. Their service opened less than 1 month ago.

But it's interesting to see that random queries for domains that are far from being popular, including invalid domains, are categorized the same way by SafeDNS and OpenDNS.
    Thankful People: simbaha2
    • CommentAuthorbirkita
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2012
    The safedns.com name floated around the internet as a parked site for many years until finally it found a more appropriate use. It will be interesting to see what happens with them.
    • CommentAuthorsimbaha2
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2012 edited
    SafeDNS is going to copy OpenDNS.

Edit:
    As you can see it's protects you from malware, phishing, & botnets.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.