Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at https://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorarnasser
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2008
    Hi,

When I opened my router's settings page, I tried to locate the Static DNS settings to set to point to OpenDNS servers, but after a while looking (since I don't have that experience setting security options for networks), I found out that I need to select "Static IP" as the "Internet Connection Type", while I really need to keep it set to PPPoE, since I'm connected to the internet through a DSL connection, whose settings must be set under that PPPoE option. How am I supposed to solve this problem, please help me, since lots of things depend on this.

Best Regards;
    Ahmad
    Thankful People:
  1.  permalink
    What's the make and model and who's the ISP?
    • CommentAuthorG J
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2008
    Rather than setting the dns on the router, you can set it on the individual computer then.

If your router does not support manual DNS with PPPoE, set it on your computer(s) instead.

Do you want step by step to set it on your computer? The guide on this site's homepage should help you too.
    • CommentAuthordiacon
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2008
    This is a common issue with modems, DSL or Cable.

If you wish to have a single point that configures DNS for the entire network, it is usually necessary to purchase a router that supports the setup of DNS and DNS port redirection.

Mikespike2 also suggested setting up OpenDNS on the computer itself. It's the next best thing to setting it up on the router.
    • CommentAuthorarnasser
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2008
    Hi again...

The router is linksys WRT54GC.

I cannot set the settings on the PCs because my users sometimes bring their own laptops and connect them via the wireless connection, so I really need to set the router to be connected to the DNS.

I don't know, but there might be an update or a hack for my router's firmware that would allow me to set static DNS while on a PPPoE connection?

Otherwise, would you please suggest any router that might be good enough for this task? (I don't need a really expensive one!!!!!)

Best wishes;
    Ahmad
    • CommentAuthorlannym
    Log into your Linksys Router, and, patiently, look for a place where you can put the 2 IP addresses for the opendns.com DNS service, as Primary and Secondary DNS Servers. That option may be buried, in one of the menus for your Linksys router. I put the IP addresses for the opendns.com DNS service into my ZTE ADSL Modem and will paste a page from the configuration below. Now, I have my IPCop Firewall/Router box set up to also do Caching DNS, so it goes direct, from our home LAN now. Consider setting up an IPCop box, to be your Dedicated Router/Firewall/Caching DNS Server.

Overview of Device Information
    This information reflects the current status of your DSL Router.
    ADSL Port Enabled
    Downstream Line Rate 2047
    Upstream Line Rate 511
    LAN IP Address 192.168.1.1
    Default Gateway x.x.x.x
    Primary DNS Server 208.67.222.222
    Secondary DNS Server 208.67.220.220
    • CommentAuthordiacon
    With that router, if you don't have a static IP address you cannot configure the DNS settings. You can however set up the DHCP settings to pass the DNS onto the computers.

All computers connecting will need to connect via DHCP and no static IP's. DHCP will then push down the OpenDNS setting to each connecting computer.

Also, under Application & Gaming, look at the Port Forward subtab. You can configure all traffic on a specific port, such as 53 for DNS to go to a specific IP address like OpenDNS's IP address. This way there is no way around using OpenDNS regardless of what they have for DNS servers in their computer. Please note that I haven't actually tried this before, but I think that's how you do it. I know there has been a thread or two on this subject around here. Can't seem to find them now.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.