Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at https://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
  1.  permalink
    I have the following domains in my domain block list, however, I recieve a "blocked domain" OpenDNS page (http://block.opendns.com/?url=www.nasa.gov) when I browse to "www.nasa.gov"...any ideas? I was told by OpenDNS that they noticed the problem, but never heard back yesterday (7/2/2007).

================================
    2mdn.net
    2o7.net
    adbrite.com
    advertising.com
    atdmt.com
    bfast.com
    casalemedia.com
    casalemedia.net
    cashventure.com
    clicktracks.com
    cpmstar.com
    doubleclick.com
    doubleclick.net
    euroclick.com
    hotbox.com
    intellitxt.com
    mediaplex.com
    speedera.net
    spylog.com
    spywaresheriff.com
    tribalfusion.com
    valueclick.com
    webtrendslive.com
    winantivirus.com
    zedo.com
    ================================

Thanks in advance,
    Rob
    • CommentAuthorJoe
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2007
    Hi Rob, indeed nasa.gov is not in your blocklist, its not in any body's block list, so its rather puzzling that its being blocked, so that we can track this down in the logs, could you return the output of 'nslookup www.nasa.gov', along with the public ip of the machine making the dns request and the time range in which you did this?. It would help us track down the problem.
    •  
      CommentAuthordavidu
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2007
    Administrator
    Rob,

It's on your blocklist:

$ host www.nasa.gov
    www.nasa.gov is an alias for www.nasa.gov.speedera.net.
    www.nasa.gov.speedera.net is an alias for www.nasa.gov.edgesuite.net.
    www.nasa.gov.edgesuite.net is an alias for a1718.x.akamai.net.
    a1718.x.akamai.net has address 128.241.220.73
    a1718.x.akamai.net has address 128.241.220.90

You have speedera.net blocked which means a lot of domains will be blocked.
    Thankful People: ahoier, Robert Haas
    • CommentAuthorahoier
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2007 edited
    Check your HOSTS file :)

Perhaps someone has redirected

nasa.gov to 208.69.32.135 (block.opendns.com :P)

Note: oops, not his problem :) But it could have been a possibility :)
  2.  permalink
    Could the block page explain which block rule is applying to the domain, under a "Details" link or something that expands like the "contact your network administrator" link?
  3.  permalink
    I removed "spedera.net" from my block list over 24 hours ago and I am still getting the same block message about "www.nasa.gov". I've even tried this from multiple other systems on my network, all still bring up the blocked domain OpenDNS page.

Also, I agree with mnordhoff above, it would be nice if the OpenDNS block page was more descriptive as to why the domain was blocked in some sort of "more details" link, etc. (i.e. The site was blocked because its alias or CNAME is in your administrator's "default blocked domains" configuration).
    • CommentAuthorJoe
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2007
    speedera.net was still blocked in some of your networks. i removed it from all of your networks, please let us know if the problem persists.
  4.  permalink
    That would explain it then...I have to admit that I didn't check each of my networks. I did remove the "speedera.net" from the "View aggregate stats and manage default settings" option, and so I figured that it would remove it from all my networks.

Thanks for your help.
    -Rob

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.