Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at https://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorjxenu
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2009
    I was using, by default, my ISP's DNS addresses. But then, instead of the "not found" status when querying nonexistent sites, they started returning the address of a "search" page of theirs. This breaks things, particularly DNS-based RBLs. So... I heard about OpenDNS and I decided to try it. I changed the DNS addresses in my routers. The second test I try (the first was to see if it worked at all) was to try a nonexistent address in my web browser. Lo and behold, I get one of those "search" pages, this time from OpenDNS. So there's no advantage over my ISP's DNS servers. OpenDNS won't "unbreak" DNS RBLs.

I heard Google has a new DNS service. I wonder if they're any better.
    • CommentAuthormaintenance
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2009 edited
    It's not about "better".
    Turn off the OpenDNS proxy & typo correction if you need NXDOMAIN.
    This may break your ability to set filtering, etc. while off.
    • CommentAuthormiked
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2009
    OpenDNS detects RBL-like queries and does not modify NXDOMAIN responses for them. If you find an RBL where this is not the case, please open a support ticket and we will fix it.
    • CommentAuthortrendikola
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2009
    @jxenu: I would never use Google's DNS Server! I'd rather use my ISP's one!
    Thankful People: Red Prince

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.