Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at https://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
  1.  permalink
    I'm a newbie here and trying to get DNS set up on my home computer...I have RoadRunner web services through Time Warner Cable and have a "Motorola Surfboard" router hooked up to my PC. I am frustrated I can't seem to get my router set up!!! I go to the choice for a Motorola router and both Mozilla & Internet Explorer say the page cannot be displayed / network timeout. Any suggestions while I wait on my support ticket to be addressed???? Thanks so much...
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2010
    "trying to get DNS set up on my home computer"
    Did you try to configure the OpenDNS server addresses in your PC's network connection or on the router?

"both Mozilla & Internet Explorer say the page cannot be displayed / network timeout"
    What page are you talking about?
  2.  permalink
    OK I'm computer-stupid in a really bad way just to let you know up front! Bare with me....

"Did you try to configure the OpenDNS server addresses in your PC's network connection or on the router?"

I tried both. I tried the router option first, as the tutorial suggests on home computers, and after I chose my router (Motorola)--this is the page that wouldn't display (the motorola IP address given on the "Change your DNS: Configuration for Motorola" page--wouldn't display). So then I tried to go through the option to "Change DNS on my computer" but when I got to step 5, the option checked "Internet Prtoocol (TCP / IP)" is NOT (checked) so I couldn't move on to the next step....
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2010
    "I tried the router option first"
    Do you mean this? https://store.opendns.com/setup/device/motorola

"the motorola IP address given on the "Change your DNS: Configuration for Motorola" page--wouldn't display"
    Your router may have an IP address different from 192.168.10.1. Whatever, just access your router with the browser as you usually do, probably with a name or otherwise.

"So then I tried to go through the option to 'Change DNS on my computer'"
    Better try first if you get it going on the router, this is preferred. Also, if you want us to help with the computer, you must say what system you have, i.e. what Windows or Mac or Linux or what, else we would not know what you are talking about...

"OK I'm computer-stupid in a really bad way..."
    Sorry, but why do you take such efforts then? :confused:
  3.  permalink
    Thanks for the response rotblitz...

Yes, I do mean this: https://store.opendns.com/setup/device/motorola

"...just access your router with the browser as you usually do, probably with a name or otherwise." Ok, that makes sense--you mean just search for the website instead of clicking on the hyperlink for the Motorola router page? I'll try this...

I have Windows XP on my Dell Dimension E310--if this is enough information about the system I have.

"Sorry, but why do you take such efforts then?" I would like to block adult sites on my computer--and if I knew someone to do it for me (setting up DNS..I certainly would take advantage! But I don't...so I'll figure it out eventually!!
  4.  permalink
    Yay! Well, I did get OpenDNS set up on my computer, although I still prefer to be set up on the router instead...

BTW, what is the reason(s)why it is better to set up on the router vs. the computer (there is only 1 computer at my home).

I believe my "Internet Protocol (TCP / IP)" was not checked my first try b/c the Internet connection got disconnected when I was looking at my router for info. So afterward I realized that I was able to connect to Open DNS through my computer.

I don't understand then what your suggestion was, rotblitz, concerning: "Whatever, just access your router with the browser as you usually do, probably with a name or otherwise." I need this to be explained differently, if possible. It wasn't my original assumption about what to do.

Thanks for helping!
    • CommentAuthormaintenance
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2010 edited
    Look at your router manual for instructions on accessing your router's web interface. You should get an IP address or domain name you can use.

Try this, to get the IP address of your router:

Start > Run type in run box
    cmd
    and hit Enter

In the command window, type
    ipconfig /all
    and hit Enter

Look for the line "Default gateway". The IP address there should let you access your router.

OpenDNS is best configured on the router, but since you only have one device connected, this will work fine with OpenDNS configured on the computer.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.