Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at https://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthoro s
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2010
    (Technical how to follows introduction)
    Usage scenario:
    (1) You have a home network with kids, PCs, IPods and the like
    (2) They all connect using LinkSys WRT54GL
    (3) You want them to go through OpenDNS, and you don't want to mess with their devices (for any reason)
    (4) Your ISP gives you a dynamic IP

Note: Of course they can bypass OpenDNS if they really want to, but:
    (a) we are buying time as they grow
    (b) you would know - they will not be logged even though they are still surfing

Note2: The real solution is to talk with them. alot. but thats for another forum.

How?
    (1) Install tomato firmware (google it). I could not manage to do this on the firmware that comes with the router
    (2) In router admin:
    (a) Basic/Network
    - Static DNS: fill in 3 openDNS servers (208.67.222.222 and 222.220 and 220.220)
    (b) Basic/DDNS
    - IP Address: "Use External IP Address Checker"
    - Service: OpenDNS
    - Username, Password, Network: Fill your OpenDNS account details
    - Use as DNS: Checked
    - Force next update: unchecked
    (c) Advanced/"DHCP/DNS": checkbox v for:
    - Use internal DNS,
    - Use received DNS with user entered DNS,
    - Intercept DNS Port (UDP 53)
    Use user-entered gateway - NOT checked

Now this may be an overkill configuration, but it works. Nothing else did.

Best of luck,

Omri.
    Thankful People: codymander
    • CommentAuthorc130
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2010 edited
    This is a good article thank you. I was just about to post a question about setting up a linksys router with tomato software on it. (presumably the model of the router is relatively unimportant with tomato software, I'm useing version 1.25.

I have a couple of questions. This is for a house with several people using it.

"What does use External IP address Checker every 10 minutes" setting do?

Is this an auto updater that keeps telling OpenDNS my current wan IP address,
    The same kind of thing that you might have on your computer that you can download?

Secondly If I do use this setting, what about DynDNS account. I currently have the Service Line set to DynDNS - Dynamic with my account info so I can ping my router and get to it if the wan IP changes. If I set the Dynamic DNS1 to OpenDNS and the Dynamic DNS2 To my DynDns will that give me the best of both worlds. Auto updating both services, OpenDNS and DynDNS. Does it matter which serice is first.

Finally if you weigh into those questions. In my situation and indeed in many situations people will have a DSL/Modem from their provider in front of the Tomato router. Right now I have it to do the DNS, I wonder if there are any issues here. Some have suggested that the dsl modem should be put into bridge mode. Which I think basically disables the router/firewall for the dsl modem.

Thanks.
  1.  permalink
    you dont want to check "use received dns..." as that adds your ISP's unsecure name servers along with OpenDNS'.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2010 edited
    "Is this an auto updater that keeps telling OpenDNS my current wan IP address,
    The same kind of thing that you might have on your computer that you can download?"

Yes, it is. You don't need anything else.

"Secondly If I do use this setting, what about DynDNS account.
    If I set the Dynamic DNS1 to OpenDNS and the Dynamic DNS2 To my DynDns..."

I would encourage you to simply try it out to update the two services.
    If this does not work, you could use DNS-O-Matic: http://www.dnsomatic.com/
    I.e. Tomato updates DNS-O-Matic, and DNS-O-Matic updates all your services, DynDNS and OpenDNS and whatever...
    And no, the order of the services shouldn't matter. Why should it?

"Some have suggested that the dsl modem should be put into bridge mode. Which I think basically disables the router/firewall for the dsl modem."

Normally if it worked before as configured without OpenDNS, you don't have to change anything. Don't fix what's not broken! Also, you don't need the router/firewall functionality of the modem, because your router (i.e. Tomato) has this functionality too.

Edit: Ah, just seeing, the OP forgot to leave a referencing link to Tomato.
    Here it is: http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato
    • CommentAuthorc130
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2010
    Thanks. Thats helpfull. I hope it helps others too.
    • CommentAuthorcccjpm
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2010
    > (c) Advanced/"DHCP/DNS": checkbox v for:
    > - Use internal DNS,
    > - Use received DNS with user entered DNS,
    > - Intercept DNS Port (UDP 53)

I assume (dangerous I know) that:
    -'Use internal DNS' means to use the DNS setup in the router,
    -'Use received DNS with user entered DNS' means to also allow the use of DNS supplied by the user
    -'Intercept DNS Port (UDP 53)' means to intercept it and not allow it.

It would seem to me that checking the first and last would be the proper setting to use only OpenDNS...

I *think* that's how I have mine setup...
  2.  permalink
    Intercept DNS Port (UDP 53)

I would think this is meant to allow DNS requests only to the nameservers set in the router, then (OpenDNS in this case), so it doesn't matter what a user tries to do at their own computer. Unless they use an app to use DNS over TCP 53, UDP 5353, TCP 5353.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.