Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at https://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorihateodns
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2010
    I REALLY don't want OpenDNS to replace Google as my default web-browser.

Let me tell you what I had before OpenDNS turned into ****ing Nazi arse-holes.

With Firefox, I could simply type in a query, press enter, and FireFox would automatically use Google's "I'm Feeling Lucky" feature, and take me directly to whatever I was looking for.

So say I typed "YouTube" in my address bar on FireFox. FireFox would take me automatically to YouTube.

OpenDNS has essentially ruined the ease of FireFox. It's not as convenient as Google, it's ugly... I just hate everything about it, and I'd like SOMEONE to help me figure out how I don't have to use this ****ing thing anymore.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    Ok, fine, there are solutions. Edit your message to normalize your language, and we will be happy to help you, else not. :devil:
    • CommentAuthorihateodns
    You're kidding.

You're a white-hat computer guy! Oh, sorry for implying cursing on your forum! Please forgive me.

GIVE ME THE CODES NATALYA, GIVE THEM TO ME!
    • CommentAuthorihateodns
    BUMP

I really don't want to use OpenDNS anymore. They force themselves into my browser, basically advertising themself like Norton.

I don't want this to be my search engine.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    Rarely have seen such a stiff-necked idiot. Can't search and read yourself?
    Here ya go: http://forums.opendns.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=7069
    Just two days ago...
    And now move on!
    Thankful People: maintenance, cindelicato, sua428
    • CommentAuthorihateodns
    Rotblitz, thank you for the referral! I'll be sure to check it out pal. Again, thanks a lot!

But for the idiot part, I'm trying to spend as little time as possible on your shitty website, so if you'd please, climb back into your hole you neck-bearded cunt.
    • CommentAuthorjhagra1
    could i use opendns to get my systems ip automatically using vb.net (through coding).if yes plz help me with it. i am writing this software for data positng and i needed that to ensure it static ip through opendns
    thank you
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2010 edited
    "on your shitty website"

That's not my website, I'm just such an idiot like you! :tongue:

Btw, you don't have many friends, do you? You can't! Poor guy!
    • CommentAuthormaintenance
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2010 edited
    I haven't finished reading this yet, but it is hilarious so far.

I may even try to help if nothing is resolved and ihateodns is receptive at all.

edit: Oh, maybe later, then. I'll be at work for a while.

jhagra1
    Wow, why did you pick this thread to ask your question? :bigsmile:
    Answer: You can get your *public IP* from all sorts of places. The private IP of any particular machine, you get from your own network.
    Some pointers for doing this programmatically:
    http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&q=find+my+public+IP+programmatically
    For your source from OpenDNS, it would be myip.dnsomatic.com .
    Thankful People: cindelicato, michaeldl
    • CommentAuthorRed Prince
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2010
    "I really don't want to use OpenDNS anymore."

Then don't use it.
    Thankful People: apswartz, maintenance, sjwalter
  1.  permalink
    Aww c'mon guys. . .this dude is just expressing his frustration with not being able to use the other "nazi" home page hijackers (Google). LOL!

@ihateodns Okay, if you want to use openDNS and have figured out that it's a REALLY great service, you should realize by now that OpenDNS has similar functionality and will automatically redirect your browser to the appropriate website if you type something into your address bar it doesn't recognize.

OpenDNS does do this already. . .but it also depends on how you type the term "youtube" into your address bar.

For example: "youtube" will cause OpenDNS to simply redirect you to youtube.com, whereas typing "you tube" will yield the OpenDNS search results page.

Either way you'll be looking at what you want in two seconds flat, but in the latter case if you don't like the having an additional step involved (needing to click a search result for example), you can simply create an OpenDNS account, which is free, and simply customize "shortcuts" for your specific IP. This will allow you to type something even shorter like "yt" and get youtube.com for example.

If after all is said and done, you still think OpenDNS stinks, follow Red Prince's advice above. =0)
    Thankful People: OpenDNS User
  2.  permalink
    The instructions on discontinuing the use of the OpenDNS service can be found in our Knowledge Base at http://www.opendns.com/support/article/140/ .
    Thankful People: sjwalter

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.