Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at https://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorjbond350
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2010 edited
    Okay, I have searched up and down for a solution to this problem. My client machines on my local home network seem to be adding the domain name "eau.wi.charter.com" to all shortcut requests. This causes shortcuts to return no results. I cannot find any settings on my router "Linksys WRT-54G with DD-WRT Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/10/09) micro" or client machines that could be causing this. I have checked all the adapters on my machines for DNS suffixes and there are no DNS suffixes listed. I have had problems searching the internet for this specific problem. This problem occurs on a Windows 7 Professional and a Windows XP SP3 machines.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : <Removed>
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : eau.wi.charter.com

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-44-6A-26-C0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : eau.wi.charter.com
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8187B Wireless 802.11b/g 54Mbp
    s USB 2.0 Network Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-44-6A-26-C0
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c893:a71b:fcc6:571b%12(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.5(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, July 06, 2010 7:40:02 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, July 08, 2010 12:51:50 AM
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 218109508
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-13-38-23-89-00-A0-D1-8B-4C-3E

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 208.67.222.222
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-A0-D1-8B-4C-3E

Tunnel adapter isatap.eau.wi.charter.com:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.1.5%16(Preferred)
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:10c3:1483:e70f:b198(Pref
    erred)
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::10c3:1483:e70f:b198%15(Preferred)
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{91F8B897-F1F8-4FED-B258-31CED2297390}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
  1.  permalink
    "I have checked all the adapters on my machines for DNS suffixes and there are no DNS suffixes listed."

But they are clearly shown in your ipconfig results, so they are certainly in your TCP/IP DNS settings.
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : eau.wi.charter.com

On Ethernet, wireless, and the tunnel adapter.

You also have mixed DNS servers on your tunnel adapter - not good.

So you need to edit the configurations for DNS on each of these adapters.

If you have OpenDNS configured on the router, the only DNS address on the computer should be your router's LAN IP. If you intend OpenDNS to be configured on this computer, just remove the 24.196.64.53 (Charter) address.
    • CommentAuthorjbond350
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2010
    The third DNS address is automatically passed from the router on DHCP. There is not configuration listed that allows me to turn off the third address. My ISP will not allow a static IP setup so the router gets the DNS information provided by my ISP.

I have once again check all adapters. There are no DNS suffixes listed on ANY of the adapters. I cannot configure any of the tunnel adapters but, I have turned them off.
    • CommentAuthormaintenance
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2010 edited
    If you are seeing these suffixes in ipconfig, they are set in the adapter configurations.

"The third DNS address is automatically passed from the router on DHCP. There is not configuration listed that allows me to turn off the third address."

Yes, there is. In the TCP/IP Properties, un-check "Obtain DNS server settings automatically." go to Advanced, DNS tab and remove/disable the DNS suffix settings.

"My ISP will not allow a static IP setup so the router gets the DNS information provided by my ISP."

This has nothing to do with what shows up in TCP/IP config. And DD-WRT certainly will allow you to set static DNS settings, regardless what your ISP does. (Not a static public IP, static DNS servers.)
    • CommentAuthorjbond350
    There seems to be a bit of confusion here. I have double, triple, and quadruple checked all my adapters (in the advanced TCP/IP settings area under the DNS tab) for DNS suffixes and I am 100% certain there are none. Also I want to keep the DNS settings via DHCP from the router. I have configured the router to use the DNS settings for OpenDNS but there are only 2 IP address for the OpenDNS servers. The third spot for a DNS server is left blank. I believe that DD-WRT fills in the last spot when a DHCP lease is sent to a client machine with the data it receives from my ISP I would send some screen shots but this form does not allow graphics to be inserted.
    • CommentAuthorjbond350
    I have done a search through my Windows Regristry and found a DHCP Domain set to the eau.wi.charter.com in: /HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/Tcpip/Parameters/DHCPDomain but this setting is cleared once I release my lease using ipconfig /release and then reappears once i renew the adapter IP address using ipconfig /renew
  2.  permalink
    That's because it is still being appended automatically. You need to disable all automatic functions related in any way to DNS in your TCP/IP settings as described previously. The reg key is even telling you it is there.

As to the router - is it has 3 address entries, fill them all, and turn off DHCP for DNS (not your public IP, DNS only). http://www.opendns.com/support/article/197
  3.  permalink
    If your router requires more than 2 DNS entries, try using the following IP's to round out the missing fields:

or

That should solve the problem.
    • CommentAuthorjbond350
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2010
    Okay so after a week of getting the shortcuts to work they are once again failing, I have not changed anything in my setups other than adding a third DNS ip address to my router. I did however notice that eau.wi.charter.com is listed in my VPNs for OpenDNS. Is there a way to block this from getting updated from the OpenDNS updater? I believe that this could be part of my problem. I can once again assure you that my adapters are not configured with DNS suffixes and for some reason that is unknown to me the router still sends the eau.wi.charter.com as the domain name. I will be checking the DD-WRT forms to see if anyone can give me an answer as to why this could be happening.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2010
    You may want to search your registry for this DNS suffix again. You may try to delete it and to set the tree for read-only access. Beside this, as long as this suffix doesn't cause any troubles with name resolution, you may just leave it alone.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.