Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at https://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorpeter2011
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2011
    I've created a shortcut in my OpenDNS account that points to a server on my internal network, for example: myserver points to 192.168.1.80. I've tested this on a few computers on my LAN and it works fine. But I have an iPad and it's the wifi only iPad and it's connected to my wireless network and the network settings show the OpenDNS servers for its DNS and I cannot get it to load my shortcut. It just says: Cannot Open Page, Safari cannot open the page because the server cannot be found. Now if I don't enter in the shortcut and I just enter in the IP address then it loads correctly.

I've searched OpenDNS KB and also Google search and can't find anything.

I did see something about how you should put in 'guide.opendns.com' in the Search Domains section in the Network settings, and I tried this and does not matter.

thanks
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2011
    • CommentAuthorpeter2011
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2011
    Thanks for your suggestion but like I said did see something on that and I did try that and still no luck.

Also, as that instruction asks, there are no toolbars or web accelerators installed.

thanks
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2011 edited
    I see. Whatever:

"It just says: Cannot Open Page, Safari cannot open the page because the server cannot be found."

This proves that your kind of Safari browser generally does not allow to search from the address bar, or you have this feature disabled, else it would go to some predefined search engine. Due to this, it may not be eligible for OpenDNS shortcut usage as well. Being able for searches from the address bar is more or less a prerequisite to make shortcuts work.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.