Your IP:

Our Forums Have Moved!

Visit our new forums at https://community.opendns.com/forums/ to post on topics and read the latest content. These forums are now read-only archives.

K-12 Forums

Talk with other K-12 network administrators in your state.

Or see all states.

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.
    • CommentAuthorchambersmt
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2011
    I have my laptop connected through my Tmobile LG Optimus T 3G. I have it setup as a hotspot with my laptop connected wireless.

What would be the best DSN settings for me?
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    The best settings would be to obtain DNS server settings automatically via DHCP.
    I would not think you can use OpenDNS meaningful on a 3G mobile network connection.
    OpenDNS is for networks, *your* networks, not for devices.
    Ok, great. Thanks for the fast reply.
    • CommentAuthorRed Prince
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2011
    As unbelievable as it is, this time I disagree with Rotblitz. If I read you correctly, you said you have set up the hot spot, which indicates it is your network and, therefore, you can set it up to use OpenDNS.
    Thankful People: rotblitz
    What would be the best DNS server addresses to use for my 3G network?

Im curious to try differant ones out to see if any would boost my speed. If I dont notice a differance in speed, I can always change it back to "auto-asign".
    • CommentAuthorRed Prince
    DNS has nothing to do with your speed.
    Thankful People: maintenance, OpenDNS User
  1.  permalink
    I would mention that it seems to me, from the text, like the hotspot itself is using 3G connectivity to the ISP, in which case changing DNS providers may not be a functional thing.
    • CommentAuthorrotblitz
    This is what I meant initially. xG networks tend to provide private IP addresses, so at least the OpenDNS features beyond pure DNS will not work. Sometimes even any 3rd party DNS service will not work.
    Thankful People: maintenance
  2.  permalink
    That is what I had thought when reading your comment, rotblitz. Particularly since I am ignorant of any routers which can provide a 3G LAN.
    Thankful People: rotblitz

This discussion has been inactive for longer than 30 days, and is thus closed.